Oct 6, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
The Northwest Division is no more, but some traditions die hard, like the Vancouver Canucks ruining the Calgary Flames’ good times.
It happened again on Sunday night, as the Canucks overcame a 3-1 lead in the third period to eventually go up 4-3. The Flames showed some serious fight when David Jones tied it up on a messy goal with 19 seconds left, but that just allowed the Canucks to play spoiler again, with Mike Santorelli scoring the OT-winner.
Silver linings for Flames
Flames fans could very well view this as a game that got away. That seemed especially true through two periods, as they were only up 2-1 despite a 26-14 shot disparity.
If nothing else, Calgary is showing more fight than people expected. They’re a reasonable 1-0-2 and have kept things basically even, scoring 12 goals and allowing 13.
Still, coughing up leads like these will sting, especially since they lost to the Washington Capitals 5-4 (SO) after building a 4-1 lead on Thursday.
One can imagine that head coach Bob Hartley will mix some optimism with an overarching message that the Flames need to learn how to play with leads, then.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 5
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 20
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 78
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (78)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (56)