Oct 6, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
The Northwest Division is no more, but some traditions die hard, like the Vancouver Canucks ruining the Calgary Flames’ good times.
It happened again on Sunday night, as the Canucks overcame a 3-1 lead in the third period to eventually go up 4-3. The Flames showed some serious fight when David Jones tied it up on a messy goal with 19 seconds left, but that just allowed the Canucks to play spoiler again, with Mike Santorelli scoring the OT-winner.
Silver linings for Flames
Flames fans could very well view this as a game that got away. That seemed especially true through two periods, as they were only up 2-1 despite a 26-14 shot disparity.
If nothing else, Calgary is showing more fight than people expected. They’re a reasonable 1-0-2 and have kept things basically even, scoring 12 goals and allowing 13.
Still, coughing up leads like these will sting, especially since they lost to the Washington Capitals 5-4 (SO) after building a 4-1 lead on Thursday.
One can imagine that head coach Bob Hartley will mix some optimism with an overarching message that the Flames need to learn how to play with leads, then.
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 0
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 4
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 65
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)