Oct 6, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
The Northwest Division is no more, but some traditions die hard, like the Vancouver Canucks ruining the Calgary Flames’ good times.
It happened again on Sunday night, as the Canucks overcame a 3-1 lead in the third period to eventually go up 4-3. The Flames showed some serious fight when David Jones tied it up on a messy goal with 19 seconds left, but that just allowed the Canucks to play spoiler again, with Mike Santorelli scoring the OT-winner.
Silver linings for Flames
Flames fans could very well view this as a game that got away. That seemed especially true through two periods, as they were only up 2-1 despite a 26-14 shot disparity.
If nothing else, Calgary is showing more fight than people expected. They’re a reasonable 1-0-2 and have kept things basically even, scoring 12 goals and allowing 13.
Still, coughing up leads like these will sting, especially since they lost to the Washington Capitals 5-4 (SO) after building a 4-1 lead on Thursday.
One can imagine that head coach Bob Hartley will mix some optimism with an overarching message that the Flames need to learn how to play with leads, then.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)