Oct 6, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
Team Canada has plenty of choices when it comes to its No. 1 goalie for the 2014 Winter Olympics, but Martin Brodeur says his country should go with the guy who grabbed the starting gig (and credit for the gold) from him in 2010: Roberto Luongo.
That’s the word from the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti on Sunday, as the New Jersey Devils understandably have the Vancouver Canucks’ goalie in mind since the two teams play on Tuesday.
(For the record, Brodeur has stated that he’d like to be a member of Team Canada as well, even in a secondary role.)
With little surprise, Brodeur will play against the Oilers in Edmonton on Monday to make space for Cory Schneider to face his former team the Canucks in Vancouver on Tuesday.
It all shows that both Devils goalies have battled it out with Luongo for reps – one on the international level, the other in the NHL – yet both still respect the noted Twitter humorist.
Those two games kick off a five-game road trip for New Jersey, so all distractions aside, the Devils’ two netminders need to start piling up some wins.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)