Oct 6, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
Team Canada has plenty of choices when it comes to its No. 1 goalie for the 2014 Winter Olympics, but Martin Brodeur says his country should go with the guy who grabbed the starting gig (and credit for the gold) from him in 2010: Roberto Luongo.
That’s the word from the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti on Sunday, as the New Jersey Devils understandably have the Vancouver Canucks’ goalie in mind since the two teams play on Tuesday.
(For the record, Brodeur has stated that he’d like to be a member of Team Canada as well, even in a secondary role.)
With little surprise, Brodeur will play against the Oilers in Edmonton on Monday to make space for Cory Schneider to face his former team the Canucks in Vancouver on Tuesday.
It all shows that both Devils goalies have battled it out with Luongo for reps – one on the international level, the other in the NHL – yet both still respect the noted Twitter humorist.
Those two games kick off a five-game road trip for New Jersey, so all distractions aside, the Devils’ two netminders need to start piling up some wins.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)