Brodeur’s No. 1 choice for Canada’s goalie: Luongo

Oct 6, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT

bobbyandmartygetty Getty Images

Team Canada has plenty of choices when it comes to its No. 1 goalie for the 2014 Winter Olympics, but Martin Brodeur says his country should go with the guy who grabbed the starting gig (and credit for the gold) from him in 2010: Roberto Luongo.

That’s the word from the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti on Sunday, as the New Jersey Devils understandably have the Vancouver Canucks’ goalie in mind since the two teams play on Tuesday.

(For the record, Brodeur has stated that he’d like to be a member of Team Canada as well, even in a secondary role.)

With little surprise, Brodeur will play against the Oilers in Edmonton on Monday to make space for Cory Schneider to face his former team the Canucks in Vancouver on Tuesday.

It all shows that both Devils goalies have battled it out with Luongo for reps – one on the international level, the other in the NHL – yet both still respect the noted Twitter humorist.

Those two games kick off a five-game road trip for New Jersey, so all distractions aside, the Devils’ two netminders need to start piling up some wins.

1. georgejarkko - Oct 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Mr. O’Brien,
    Please read this phrase aloud and feel free to delete my comment once you have:
    “Martin Brodeur says his country should go with the guy grabbed the starting gig”

• James O'Brien - Oct 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Thanks, fixed.

• ethanmacleod1685 - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Please don’t hate the pht writers, their the best in the biz. Better than yahoo or nhl.com

• davebabychreturns - Oct 7, 2013 at 8:28 AM

One more correction: Luongo never actually gets any credit for the 2010 gold medal victory.

2. jason9696 - Oct 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I can’t stand the Canucks. But Luongo would be my guy as well.

3. blackhawks2010 - Oct 6, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Start Loungo please! :)

-USA Hockey team

• blomfeld - Oct 6, 2013 at 10:10 PM

‘WITH YA’ THERE PAL !

I too ‘hope & pray’ that Canada goes with this narcissistic, petulant, yeah me, over-rated ‘Michelin Man’ as their starting goalie there in the Caucuses ! Anyone with half a brain knows only too well that this parasite was ‘just along for the ride’ back in 2010. So I say let the goof take center stage there in Sochi replete with his ‘billboard-sized’ padding … and let him finally show himself for the ‘complete & utter’ fool he is !

• vantjas - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Blomfeld.. why do you bother? I read your garbage on almost every PHT story that I bring up. How does someone commit the time that you do on this website to a player you apparently “hate”. Your hard-on for Luongo is getting borderline creepy. Your musical references are not only bad, they make little sense and they just clutter up the comments section for fans that want to actually contribute to the story, and of course discuss the grammar which seems to be of utmost importance for sports stories and fans.

That all aside, I just ignore your stories, usually throw you a thumbs-down from time to time and move on with the rest of the news in the NHL. But now you’re calling him out on his pad size? I’ve heard this from you before on other goalies not named Jonathan Quick, but you have no idea what you’re talking about. Luongo was one of the goalies least affected by the rule change. His pads were already small, he lost 1/4″ per pad in the five-hole. Michelin Man? He’s a big guy. 6’3 and 218 lbs. Is it cheating to be big now? I don’t care if you post your pointless garbage on every one of my team’s stories. I don’t care if you post it on the stories of the other 29 teams either. But try and have a grasp of what you’re commenting on in the first place before you start youtubing your next cheesy-as-mozza musical choice that seemingly has nothing to do with a Hall-Of-Famer giving his countryman a nod. /rant

• blomfeld - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Don’t like disco eh ?

Vantjas – Let me ask you then … how does someone commit the time that you do on this website to a commenter you apparently “hate” ? … that my friend is ‘creepiness’ truly defined !

Here’s the deal. There are two players in this league who I enjoy ‘having a go’ at (Ovi & Loo) to no end and despite your lame protestations, I will continue to do so at my pleasing. Now let’s take the case of your man Loo. All of the upset created here in Vancouver over the past 18 months goes right back to April 2012, when the Canucks had the ‘nerve and audacity’ to let Luongo’s back up actually back him up. How ‘dare’ Schneider be given a chance to show what he can offer eh ? Well it just so happened that Schneider not only showed himself to be a better goaltender, but more importantly a better ‘team player’ and person too … one who truly understands the concept of ‘esprit de corps’ and personal sacrifice for a collective cause. I would submit that only ‘dopes’ are fooled by Luongo’s recent image makeover this past year and that the man remains ‘resolute’ in his conviction to return to Florida … likely next summer at the latest.

ps: seriously, here’s one of my ‘favorites’ from back in the day ! :)

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches