Oct 6, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
Team Canada has plenty of choices when it comes to its No. 1 goalie for the 2014 Winter Olympics, but Martin Brodeur says his country should go with the guy who grabbed the starting gig (and credit for the gold) from him in 2010: Roberto Luongo.
That’s the word from the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti on Sunday, as the New Jersey Devils understandably have the Vancouver Canucks’ goalie in mind since the two teams play on Tuesday.
(For the record, Brodeur has stated that he’d like to be a member of Team Canada as well, even in a secondary role.)
With little surprise, Brodeur will play against the Oilers in Edmonton on Monday to make space for Cory Schneider to face his former team the Canucks in Vancouver on Tuesday.
It all shows that both Devils goalies have battled it out with Luongo for reps – one on the international level, the other in the NHL – yet both still respect the noted Twitter humorist.
Those two games kick off a five-game road trip for New Jersey, so all distractions aside, the Devils’ two netminders need to start piling up some wins.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)