Oct 6, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
Team Canada has plenty of choices when it comes to its No. 1 goalie for the 2014 Winter Olympics, but Martin Brodeur says his country should go with the guy who grabbed the starting gig (and credit for the gold) from him in 2010: Roberto Luongo.
That’s the word from the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti on Sunday, as the New Jersey Devils understandably have the Vancouver Canucks’ goalie in mind since the two teams play on Tuesday.
(For the record, Brodeur has stated that he’d like to be a member of Team Canada as well, even in a secondary role.)
With little surprise, Brodeur will play against the Oilers in Edmonton on Monday to make space for Cory Schneider to face his former team the Canucks in Vancouver on Tuesday.
It all shows that both Devils goalies have battled it out with Luongo for reps – one on the international level, the other in the NHL – yet both still respect the noted Twitter humorist.
Those two games kick off a five-game road trip for New Jersey, so all distractions aside, the Devils’ two netminders need to start piling up some wins.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)