Oct 6, 2013, 10:40 AM EST
If you only took a look at the boxscore from last night Tampa Bay-Chicago game, you’d think the Lightning got rolled. They were outshot 39-16 and were held without a shot in the opening period.
The six-foot-seven goaltender stopped 37 shots in a steady barrage from the defending Stanley Cup champions and held things down after being down 2-0 early as the Lightning tied the game in the third thanks to goals from captain Martin St. Louis and winger Teddy Purcell.
Bishop held strong in overtime and didn’t allow Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, or Marian Hossa to score in the shootout. Meanwhile, Valtteri Filppula scored on his attempt to cap off Tampa Bay’s comeback victory.
As Brian Hedger from NHL.com shares, Bishop knew he stole one.
“Snuck out with a win,” he said, smiling sheepishly. “I was looking for the police when we left the locker room, because I thought we’d get arrested for stealing. I think we stole two points.”
After getting beat by Boston on opening night with Anders Lindback in net, Bishop helped make his case to be the No. 1 goalie.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 57
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 72
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)