Oct 6, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
If you only took a look at the boxscore from last night Tampa Bay-Chicago game, you’d think the Lightning got rolled. They were outshot 39-16 and were held without a shot in the opening period.
The six-foot-seven goaltender stopped 37 shots in a steady barrage from the defending Stanley Cup champions and held things down after being down 2-0 early as the Lightning tied the game in the third thanks to goals from captain Martin St. Louis and winger Teddy Purcell.
Bishop held strong in overtime and didn’t allow Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, or Marian Hossa to score in the shootout. Meanwhile, Valtteri Filppula scored on his attempt to cap off Tampa Bay’s comeback victory.
As Brian Hedger from NHL.com shares, Bishop knew he stole one.
“Snuck out with a win,” he said, smiling sheepishly. “I was looking for the police when we left the locker room, because I thought we’d get arrested for stealing. I think we stole two points.”
After getting beat by Boston on opening night with Anders Lindback in net, Bishop helped make his case to be the No. 1 goalie.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 19
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 61
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (61)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)