Oct 6, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
If you only took a look at the boxscore from last night Tampa Bay-Chicago game, you’d think the Lightning got rolled. They were outshot 39-16 and were held without a shot in the opening period.
The six-foot-seven goaltender stopped 37 shots in a steady barrage from the defending Stanley Cup champions and held things down after being down 2-0 early as the Lightning tied the game in the third thanks to goals from captain Martin St. Louis and winger Teddy Purcell.
Bishop held strong in overtime and didn’t allow Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, or Marian Hossa to score in the shootout. Meanwhile, Valtteri Filppula scored on his attempt to cap off Tampa Bay’s comeback victory.
As Brian Hedger from NHL.com shares, Bishop knew he stole one.
“Snuck out with a win,” he said, smiling sheepishly. “I was looking for the police when we left the locker room, because I thought we’d get arrested for stealing. I think we stole two points.”
After getting beat by Boston on opening night with Anders Lindback in net, Bishop helped make his case to be the No. 1 goalie.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)