Oct 6, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
If you only took a look at the boxscore from last night Tampa Bay-Chicago game, you’d think the Lightning got rolled. They were outshot 39-16 and were held without a shot in the opening period.
The six-foot-seven goaltender stopped 37 shots in a steady barrage from the defending Stanley Cup champions and held things down after being down 2-0 early as the Lightning tied the game in the third thanks to goals from captain Martin St. Louis and winger Teddy Purcell.
Bishop held strong in overtime and didn’t allow Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, or Marian Hossa to score in the shootout. Meanwhile, Valtteri Filppula scored on his attempt to cap off Tampa Bay’s comeback victory.
As Brian Hedger from NHL.com shares, Bishop knew he stole one.
“Snuck out with a win,” he said, smiling sheepishly. “I was looking for the police when we left the locker room, because I thought we’d get arrested for stealing. I think we stole two points.”
After getting beat by Boston on opening night with Anders Lindback in net, Bishop helped make his case to be the No. 1 goalie.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)