Oct 6, 2013, 10:40 AM EST
If you only took a look at the boxscore from last night Tampa Bay-Chicago game, you’d think the Lightning got rolled. They were outshot 39-16 and were held without a shot in the opening period.
The six-foot-seven goaltender stopped 37 shots in a steady barrage from the defending Stanley Cup champions and held things down after being down 2-0 early as the Lightning tied the game in the third thanks to goals from captain Martin St. Louis and winger Teddy Purcell.
Bishop held strong in overtime and didn’t allow Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, or Marian Hossa to score in the shootout. Meanwhile, Valtteri Filppula scored on his attempt to cap off Tampa Bay’s comeback victory.
As Brian Hedger from NHL.com shares, Bishop knew he stole one.
“Snuck out with a win,” he said, smiling sheepishly. “I was looking for the police when we left the locker room, because I thought we’d get arrested for stealing. I think we stole two points.”
After getting beat by Boston on opening night with Anders Lindback in net, Bishop helped make his case to be the No. 1 goalie.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)