Oct 5, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
Calgary Flames forward Sean Monahan‘s name typically isn’t the first raised when talking about Calder Trophy candidates, but he’s been good so far.
Monahan picked up an assist in his NHL debut on Thursday and then in just his second NHL game, he charged to the Columbus Blue Jackets’ net to collect a rebound and score his first NHL goal.
You can view that sequence below:
The Flames went on to earn a 4-3 victory over Columbus.
Monahan was taken with the sixth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. He’s just the second player in Calgary Flames history to collect multiple regular season points before turning 19, according to the Calgary Sun.
“Monny, I felt that this game tonight was much much better than (Thursday) night,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley. “He played with confidence. He had jump in his game.
“Obviously, scoring early, that’s always a good boost. But at the same time, he made some plays than an NHL player makes.”
Monahan will attempt to build off of his hot start against the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (100)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)