Oct 5, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
Calgary Flames forward Sean Monahan‘s name typically isn’t the first raised when talking about Calder Trophy candidates, but he’s been good so far.
Monahan picked up an assist in his NHL debut on Thursday and then in just his second NHL game, he charged to the Columbus Blue Jackets’ net to collect a rebound and score his first NHL goal.
You can view that sequence below:
The Flames went on to earn a 4-3 victory over Columbus.
Monahan was taken with the sixth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. He’s just the second player in Calgary Flames history to collect multiple regular season points before turning 19, according to the Calgary Sun.
“Monny, I felt that this game tonight was much much better than (Thursday) night,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley. “He played with confidence. He had jump in his game.
“Obviously, scoring early, that’s always a good boost. But at the same time, he made some plays than an NHL player makes.”
Monahan will attempt to build off of his hot start against the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 10
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)