Oct 5, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
Calgary Flames forward Sean Monahan‘s name typically isn’t the first raised when talking about Calder Trophy candidates, but he’s been good so far.
Monahan picked up an assist in his NHL debut on Thursday and then in just his second NHL game, he charged to the Columbus Blue Jackets’ net to collect a rebound and score his first NHL goal.
You can view that sequence below:
The Flames went on to earn a 4-3 victory over Columbus.
Monahan was taken with the sixth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. He’s just the second player in Calgary Flames history to collect multiple regular season points before turning 19, according to the Calgary Sun.
“Monny, I felt that this game tonight was much much better than (Thursday) night,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley. “He played with confidence. He had jump in his game.
“Obviously, scoring early, that’s always a good boost. But at the same time, he made some plays than an NHL player makes.”
Monahan will attempt to build off of his hot start against the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 31
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 40
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (44)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)