Oct 5, 2013, 10:29 AM EST
Calgary Flames forward Sean Monahan‘s name typically isn’t the first raised when talking about Calder Trophy candidates, but he’s been good so far.
Monahan picked up an assist in his NHL debut on Thursday and then in just his second NHL game, he charged to the Columbus Blue Jackets’ net to collect a rebound and score his first NHL goal.
You can view that sequence below:
The Flames went on to earn a 4-3 victory over Columbus.
Monahan was taken with the sixth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. He’s just the second player in Calgary Flames history to collect multiple regular season points before turning 19, according to the Calgary Sun.
“Monny, I felt that this game tonight was much much better than (Thursday) night,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley. “He played with confidence. He had jump in his game.
“Obviously, scoring early, that’s always a good boost. But at the same time, he made some plays than an NHL player makes.”
Monahan will attempt to build off of his hot start against the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)