Oct 5, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
Calgary Flames forward Sean Monahan‘s name typically isn’t the first raised when talking about Calder Trophy candidates, but he’s been good so far.
Monahan picked up an assist in his NHL debut on Thursday and then in just his second NHL game, he charged to the Columbus Blue Jackets’ net to collect a rebound and score his first NHL goal.
You can view that sequence below:
The Flames went on to earn a 4-3 victory over Columbus.
Monahan was taken with the sixth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. He’s just the second player in Calgary Flames history to collect multiple regular season points before turning 19, according to the Calgary Sun.
“Monny, I felt that this game tonight was much much better than (Thursday) night,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley. “He played with confidence. He had jump in his game.
“Obviously, scoring early, that’s always a good boost. But at the same time, he made some plays than an NHL player makes.”
Monahan will attempt to build off of his hot start against the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)