Oct 5, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have gotten off to an 0-2-0 start while scoring just three goals.
The sample size is small, but when the biggest question mark surrounding your team going into the season is your anemic offense and then it struggles out of the gate, that only makes the concern more blatant.
Predators coach Barry Trotz acknowledged the problem and feels his forwards need to be more self-motivated.
“I don’t know if I can get them going. It’s up to them to get them going,” coach Barry Trotz told the Tennessean. “There’s no magic dust I can throw over them and say you have to produce. They need to produce. That’s part of their role on this team, so they have to produce.”
It doesn’t help matters that two of the players that were supposed to bolster the Predators’ offense this season have been absent. Viktor Stalberg was hoping to serve in a top-six role this season after being a complimentary player in Chicago, but he’s dealing with a shoulder injury. The Predators have also been without promising rookie Filip Forsberg (lower body).
After playing their opening two games on the road, the Predators will begin a five-game homestand on Tuesday against the Minnesota Wild.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)