Oct 5, 2013, 12:49 PM EST
The Nashville Predators have gotten off to an 0-2-0 start while scoring just three goals.
The sample size is small, but when the biggest question mark surrounding your team going into the season is your anemic offense and then it struggles out of the gate, that only makes the concern more blatant.
Predators coach Barry Trotz acknowledged the problem and feels his forwards need to be more self-motivated.
“I don’t know if I can get them going. It’s up to them to get them going,” coach Barry Trotz told the Tennessean. “There’s no magic dust I can throw over them and say you have to produce. They need to produce. That’s part of their role on this team, so they have to produce.”
It doesn’t help matters that two of the players that were supposed to bolster the Predators’ offense this season have been absent. Viktor Stalberg was hoping to serve in a top-six role this season after being a complimentary player in Chicago, but he’s dealing with a shoulder injury. The Predators have also been without promising rookie Filip Forsberg (lower body).
After playing their opening two games on the road, the Predators will begin a five-game homestand on Tuesday against the Minnesota Wild.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)