Oct 5, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have gotten off to an 0-2-0 start while scoring just three goals.
The sample size is small, but when the biggest question mark surrounding your team going into the season is your anemic offense and then it struggles out of the gate, that only makes the concern more blatant.
Predators coach Barry Trotz acknowledged the problem and feels his forwards need to be more self-motivated.
“I don’t know if I can get them going. It’s up to them to get them going,” coach Barry Trotz told the Tennessean. “There’s no magic dust I can throw over them and say you have to produce. They need to produce. That’s part of their role on this team, so they have to produce.”
It doesn’t help matters that two of the players that were supposed to bolster the Predators’ offense this season have been absent. Viktor Stalberg was hoping to serve in a top-six role this season after being a complimentary player in Chicago, but he’s dealing with a shoulder injury. The Predators have also been without promising rookie Filip Forsberg (lower body).
After playing their opening two games on the road, the Predators will begin a five-game homestand on Tuesday against the Minnesota Wild.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)