Oct 5, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have gotten off to an 0-2-0 start while scoring just three goals.
The sample size is small, but when the biggest question mark surrounding your team going into the season is your anemic offense and then it struggles out of the gate, that only makes the concern more blatant.
Predators coach Barry Trotz acknowledged the problem and feels his forwards need to be more self-motivated.
“I don’t know if I can get them going. It’s up to them to get them going,” coach Barry Trotz told the Tennessean. “There’s no magic dust I can throw over them and say you have to produce. They need to produce. That’s part of their role on this team, so they have to produce.”
It doesn’t help matters that two of the players that were supposed to bolster the Predators’ offense this season have been absent. Viktor Stalberg was hoping to serve in a top-six role this season after being a complimentary player in Chicago, but he’s dealing with a shoulder injury. The Predators have also been without promising rookie Filip Forsberg (lower body).
After playing their opening two games on the road, the Predators will begin a five-game homestand on Tuesday against the Minnesota Wild.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 9
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)