Reimer will get the nod in Leafs’ home opener

Oct 5, 2013, 3:41 PM EST

James Reimer #34 of the Toronto Maple Leafs makes a trapper save as Chris Neil #25 of the Ottawa Senators looks for the rebound during an NHL game at Scotiabank Place on March 17, 2012 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
(March 16, 2012 - Source: Jana Chytilova/Freestyle Photo/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Maple Leafs goaltender Jonathan Bernier looked great in Toronto’s 3-1 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday, but coach Randy Carlyle has decided to go back to James Reimer for the home opener against the Ottawa Senators tonight, according to TSN’s Jonas Siegel.

Reimer, who also won his first start, has historically dominated the Senators with a 8-1-1 record, 1.69 GAA, and .949 save percentage in 10 contests.

“It’s not 100 per cent based upon that, but I would tell you I’d be crazy if I didn’t look at it,” Carlyle said.

This is just the start of what’s likely to be a lengthy competition for the Toronto Maple Leafs’ starting gig. Reimer is coming off a largely successful campaign while Bernier is a very promising goaltender whose finally out from under Los Angeles’ Jonathan Quick. Reimer and Bernier are both young and inked to short-term contracts.

They are projected to largely split the team’s starts unless one of them is able to firmly set himself apart from the other.

Related:

Kulemin breaks small ankle bone during practice

1. kingjoffrey19 - Oct 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM

GO LEAFS GO! Best goalie combo in the league!

• lowenni - Oct 5, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Don’t get ahead of yourself buddy

2. sampulls - Oct 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM

LoL
    Typical delusional TML fan.

• kingjoffrey19 - Oct 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM

typical American who doesn’t know anything about hockey

• lowenni - Oct 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM

So sick of people saying this @kingjoffrey. Yes, Canada has always been a hockey powerhouse and still is. And, historically, they’ve been better than America. However, considering that hockey is one of the fastest growing sports in the US and that some of the top up-and-coming players in the NHL are Americans, that insult is both stupid and has no logical basis. America can hold its own with Canada in hockey (only lost by one goal in 2010 Olympics, for example) and within ten years will be just as good given the current rate of growth of the sport.

If you’re saying that Bernier+Reimer are the best goalie combo in the league, YOU’RE the one who knows nothing about hockey.

• Lupy Nazty Philthy - Oct 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM

“So sick of people saying this”

Kind of like Leafs fans are sick of hearing “Typical delusional TML fan” every time any of us have the nerve to cheer for our team.

3. kingjoffrey19 - Oct 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Not saying Americans aren’t good at hockey. You guys are clearly getting a lot better and the team at the olympics will be debatably just as good as Canada’s. Just saying that in terms of understanding the game, you guys in general know much less. Yes it is a growing sport but the point is that it is growing. Canadians live and breath hockey and most Canadian kids grow up playing hockey. Whenever I talk hockey with Americans I usually find myself having to explain systems and general hockey IQ things that you can really only understand by playing the game.

What I am sick of is people calling Leaf fans delusional. Were passionate and maybe sometimes see our team through blinders but to say that Bernier and Reimer are not the best goalie combo in the league? Thats just plain envious. What combo is better than those 2?

• lowenni - Oct 5, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I respect the passion, but I’m not envious. As a Caps fan I am pretty content with Holtby+Neuvirth which I believe is just as solid as the Maple Leafs’ combo. A year or two from now on, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Reimer and Bernier were sharing a Jennings Trophy and were being called the best duo in the league. But for now, don’t get ahead of yourself and see the team “through blinders” (as you said). I’d argue that maybe Halak+Elliott+Allen is the strongest combination in the league, along with Brodeur/Schneider. As Bernier is yet to fully prove himself in a season, I’d put:
      -Miller/Enroth
      -Halak/Elliott
      -Hiller/Fasth
      -Anderson/Lehner
      -Brodeur/Schneider
      -Holtby/Neuvirth
      all in front of Reimer and Bernier. I fully expect that to change by the end of the season, however. I think Reimer has great potential, but I think Bernier may be slightly overrated.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches