Oct 5, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
There isn’t much good news for the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday night, but here’s one thing: at least they didn’t get shut out twice in a row. Thomas Vanek ended Buffalo’s scoreless streak at 122:30, but it was too little too late, as the Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Sabres 4-1.
Marc-Andre Fleury was mere minutes away from getting his second straight shutout while also ensuring that the Sabres would be shut out for the second time in a row.
Even though that splashier scenario didn’t play out, it still paints a picture of two teams going in remarkably different directions.
In the case of the Penguins, it seems like they have check marks in every category* except goalie, which is a question. On the bright side, Fleury, 28, is off to a hot start, allowing just one goal on 48 shots in two wins.
Buffalo has only generated two goals in three games, and it’s not like the Sabres are suffering from bad luck alone. Their three opponents generated a disturbing 115-76 shot disparity, outscoring Buffalo 7-2 in the process.
The only saving grace might be the quality of the Sabres’ three opponents, as all three – Detroit, Ottawa and Pittsburgh – made it to the second round of the 2013 playoffs and are generally respected around the league. If the results are the same against less dominant competition in their next two games (home contests vs. Tampa Bay and Columbus), then Buffalo will really gather more “worst team in hockey” hype.
* – Many will quibble with this, but they at least have talent at many levels, can we agree on that?
Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
This time, it features just one plaintiff — former Bruin Jon Rohloff.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Alternate captain notched a career-high in goals last year.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“Usually this isn’t the time to fight for the big contract.”
Jul 30, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Jim Hiller is hoping to follow in the footsteps of Todd McLellan, Paul MacLean, and Bill Peters.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Finnish club is moving to the KHL next season.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Arbitration hearing is scheduled for Thursday.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
After not giving him a qualifying offer.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
That’s Lacroix, when he was an assistant for Tampa Bay.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer join Tony Granato, who’s also new.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Jul 30, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Will this all get settled before Friday’s hearing?
Jul 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Tell us how you really feel, Brad.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Kings captain meets Rangers fan. Hi-jinx ensue.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
From 64 (mercurial) to 10 (gritty!)
Jul 29, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Now battling Bon Jovi and Donald Trump!
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
“This has been a difficult decision for Kevin.”
Jul 29, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
After a year away from the game.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
Pretty nice pay bump for the 24-year-old rearguard.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
6-foot-8, 250-pounder was a first-round pick in 2005.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Hall of Famer will work as an assistant under Ted Nolan.
- Devils re-sign Greene to long-term pact 2
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 36
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 46
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (46)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)