Oct 5, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
There isn’t much good news for the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday night, but here’s one thing: at least they didn’t get shut out twice in a row. Thomas Vanek ended Buffalo’s scoreless streak at 122:30, but it was too little too late, as the Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Sabres 4-1.
Marc-Andre Fleury was mere minutes away from getting his second straight shutout while also ensuring that the Sabres would be shut out for the second time in a row.
Even though that splashier scenario didn’t play out, it still paints a picture of two teams going in remarkably different directions.
In the case of the Penguins, it seems like they have check marks in every category* except goalie, which is a question. On the bright side, Fleury, 28, is off to a hot start, allowing just one goal on 48 shots in two wins.
Buffalo has only generated two goals in three games, and it’s not like the Sabres are suffering from bad luck alone. Their three opponents generated a disturbing 115-76 shot disparity, outscoring Buffalo 7-2 in the process.
The only saving grace might be the quality of the Sabres’ three opponents, as all three – Detroit, Ottawa and Pittsburgh – made it to the second round of the 2013 playoffs and are generally respected around the league. If the results are the same against less dominant competition in their next two games (home contests vs. Tampa Bay and Columbus), then Buffalo will really gather more “worst team in hockey” hype.
* – Many will quibble with this, but they at least have talent at many levels, can we agree on that?
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)