Oct 5, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak might not end up being a Hall of Fame netminder — but on Saturday night, he eclipsed one.
Halak passed legendary ‘tender Glen Hall for the most shutouts (17) in Blues history with a 7-0 blanking of Florida at the Scotttrade Center. This comes after Halak had already surpassed two other Hall of Fame goalies on the Blues’ all-time list: Jacques Plante (who had 10) and Grant Fuhr (11).
Here’s more, from the Blues:
Halak, 28, recorded his 17th shutout in just his 121st game as a Blue giving him a shutout per games played ratio (one in every 7.11) that leads all NHL goaltenders since he joined the club in June, 2010.
The Bratislava, Czech Republic native began his Blues career on a torrid pace, posting three shutouts in his first nine games eclipsing Jacques Plante as the quickest goaltender in club history to record three shutouts (Plante recorded three shutouts in 11 games in 1968).
Halak entered this season as St. Louis’ clear-cut No. 1 netminder after sharing the goal with Brian Elliott over the last two seasons, and the decision has paid off handsomely. He’s a perfect 2-0-0 to start the year and has allowed just two goals on 49 shots — on Thursday, he began the campaign by stopping 28 of 30 in a 4-2 win over Nashville.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)