Oct 5, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak might not end up being a Hall of Fame netminder — but on Saturday night, he eclipsed one.
Halak passed legendary ‘tender Glen Hall for the most shutouts (17) in Blues history with a 7-0 blanking of Florida at the Scotttrade Center. This comes after Halak had already surpassed two other Hall of Fame goalies on the Blues’ all-time list: Jacques Plante (who had 10) and Grant Fuhr (11).
Here’s more, from the Blues:
Halak, 28, recorded his 17th shutout in just his 121st game as a Blue giving him a shutout per games played ratio (one in every 7.11) that leads all NHL goaltenders since he joined the club in June, 2010.
The Bratislava, Czech Republic native began his Blues career on a torrid pace, posting three shutouts in his first nine games eclipsing Jacques Plante as the quickest goaltender in club history to record three shutouts (Plante recorded three shutouts in 11 games in 1968).
Halak entered this season as St. Louis’ clear-cut No. 1 netminder after sharing the goal with Brian Elliott over the last two seasons, and the decision has paid off handsomely. He’s a perfect 2-0-0 to start the year and has allowed just two goals on 49 shots — on Thursday, he began the campaign by stopping 28 of 30 in a 4-2 win over Nashville.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)