Oct 5, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak might not end up being a Hall of Fame netminder — but on Saturday night, he eclipsed one.
Halak passed legendary ‘tender Glen Hall for the most shutouts (17) in Blues history with a 7-0 blanking of Florida at the Scotttrade Center. This comes after Halak had already surpassed two other Hall of Fame goalies on the Blues’ all-time list: Jacques Plante (who had 10) and Grant Fuhr (11).
Here’s more, from the Blues:
Halak, 28, recorded his 17th shutout in just his 121st game as a Blue giving him a shutout per games played ratio (one in every 7.11) that leads all NHL goaltenders since he joined the club in June, 2010.
The Bratislava, Czech Republic native began his Blues career on a torrid pace, posting three shutouts in his first nine games eclipsing Jacques Plante as the quickest goaltender in club history to record three shutouts (Plante recorded three shutouts in 11 games in 1968).
Halak entered this season as St. Louis’ clear-cut No. 1 netminder after sharing the goal with Brian Elliott over the last two seasons, and the decision has paid off handsomely. He’s a perfect 2-0-0 to start the year and has allowed just two goals on 49 shots — on Thursday, he began the campaign by stopping 28 of 30 in a 4-2 win over Nashville.
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 20
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 51
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 22
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 87
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (87)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)