Oct 5, 2013, 10:44 PM EDT
For one night, Boston looked mighty good with the man advantage — and they had the big guy to thank.
That was the story at TD Garden on Saturday as the Bruins beat the Red Wings 4-1 on the strength of a dynamic-looking power play, led by defenseman Zdeno Chara.
Chara was an big net-front presence as Boston went 2-for-4 on the man advantage. The 6-foot-9 rearguard provided a nice screen on Torey Krug‘s game-opening PP goal, then notched one himself in the third period on a great skill play:
Henrik Zetterberg scored the lone goal for the Wings, who are now 2-1-1.
The big story on the night, though, was the play of Chara on the PP. Boston’s been criticized heavily over the last few seasons for its poor production with the man advantage, and that narrative looked like it would carry into the 2013-14 season when the B’s went 0-for-3 on the power play in the season opener against Tampa.
Boston also managed seven shots on the power play all told, a pretty solid total. The goal now will be for the B’s to carry that production over to Thursday’s game against Colorado.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)