Oct 5, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
It didn’t take long for John Tortorella’s “everyone blocks shots” policy to claim a high-profile victim, as Alex Burrows will miss a couple weeks with a leg injury resulting from doing just that. Tortorella didn’t flinch when discussing it, as the Vancouver Province’s Jason Botchford reports.
Torts: If Burrows doesn’t make that play, he’d probably never play a 5-on-3 again here.
— Jason Botchford (@botchford) October 5, 2013
For better or worse, Tortorella is confident in his strategies and policies, which will surely make for some press conference fireworks in his new market.
The Vancouver Canucks blocked 22 shots in a 4-1 loss to the San Jose Sharks on Thursday. Burrows and Alexander Edler‘s three blocked shots tied for second that night, with only Christopher Tanev‘s five topping them.
For those who are very much against star players “sacrificing their bodies” in front of slappers, at least the Sedin twins didn’t register a single blocked shot. Yet.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)