Oct 5, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for John Tortorella’s “everyone blocks shots” policy to claim a high-profile victim, as Alex Burrows will miss a couple weeks with a leg injury resulting from doing just that. Tortorella didn’t flinch when discussing it, as the Vancouver Province’s Jason Botchford reports.
Torts: If Burrows doesn’t make that play, he’d probably never play a 5-on-3 again here.
— Jason Botchford (@botchford) October 5, 2013
For better or worse, Tortorella is confident in his strategies and policies, which will surely make for some press conference fireworks in his new market.
The Vancouver Canucks blocked 22 shots in a 4-1 loss to the San Jose Sharks on Thursday. Burrows and Alexander Edler‘s three blocked shots tied for second that night, with only Christopher Tanev‘s five topping them.
For those who are very much against star players “sacrificing their bodies” in front of slappers, at least the Sedin twins didn’t register a single blocked shot. Yet.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)