Oct 4, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
The Dallas Stars and Florida Panthers are going into this season with a lot to prove and it showed early in their season opener on Thursday.
After the dust settled, 50 penalty minutes were handed out, Kulikov and Garbutt were booted from the game, and the Panthers were awarded a power play on the strength of Roussel’s instigator penalty.
You can view the fight below:
Florida didn’t capitalize on the power play that followed, but they did earn a 4-2 victory thanks in part to Tim Thomas’ efforts. It’s a great start for a Panthers’ team that’s hoping to get right back into the playoffs after a disappointing 2013 campaign.
Meanwhile, GM Jim Nill’s revamped Stars will look to rebound on Saturday against the Washington Capitals.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 36
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)