Oct 4, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars and Florida Panthers are going into this season with a lot to prove and it showed early in their season opener on Thursday.
After the dust settled, 50 penalty minutes were handed out, Kulikov and Garbutt were booted from the game, and the Panthers were awarded a power play on the strength of Roussel’s instigator penalty.
You can view the fight below:
Florida didn’t capitalize on the power play that followed, but they did earn a 4-2 victory thanks in part to Tim Thomas’ efforts. It’s a great start for a Panthers’ team that’s hoping to get right back into the playoffs after a disappointing 2013 campaign.
Meanwhile, GM Jim Nill’s revamped Stars will look to rebound on Saturday against the Washington Capitals.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22