Oct 4, 2013, 2:12 AM EDT
The regular season coaching debuts of Alain Vigneault and John Tortorella with their new teams had both been highly publicized.
But it didn’t quite go as either may have planned, as both coaches were behind the bench for respective 4-1 losses on Thursday.
The Rangers lost by that score to the Phoenix Coyotes, while the Canucks lost in San Jose.
“We didn’t execute,” Vigneault said afterward, according to the New York Times.
Tortorella, who is in the midst of introducing a new system to the Canucks, liked what he saw from his team in certain areas, and didn’t like from his team in others.
“We have a lot to learn as far as tenacity. There were some good things and there were some teachable things,” said Tortorella, as per Vancouver Sun columnist Iain MacIntyre.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)