Oct 4, 2013, 2:12 AM EDT
The regular season coaching debuts of Alain Vigneault and John Tortorella with their new teams had both been highly publicized.
But it didn’t quite go as either may have planned, as both coaches were behind the bench for respective 4-1 losses on Thursday.
The Rangers lost by that score to the Phoenix Coyotes, while the Canucks lost in San Jose.
“We didn’t execute,” Vigneault said afterward, according to the New York Times.
Tortorella, who is in the midst of introducing a new system to the Canucks, liked what he saw from his team in certain areas, and didn’t like from his team in others.
“We have a lot to learn as far as tenacity. There were some good things and there were some teachable things,” said Tortorella, as per Vancouver Sun columnist Iain MacIntyre.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)