Oct 4, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
If you want a snapshot of the stunning array of choices that the U.S. Olympic team possesses regarding high-end goaltending, look no further than Friday’s showdown between the Ottawa Senators’ Craig Anderson and the Buffalo Sabres’ Ryan Miller.
There was one goal scored (Erik Karlsson‘s game-winner) despite 81 shots on goal between the two teams, giving Anderson the edge over Miller, although Miller generated 45 saves to Anderson’s 35.
The first period was particularly ridiculous, as Miller stopped 23 and Anderson turned away 16.
(This post will be updated with a highlight video, because one can only assume that both netminders were forced to make some dazzling saves.)
Anyway, it all brings up some fascinating questions:
- Is it safe to say that Anderson, 32, is an elite goalie? His resume is certainly building.
- Would either of these guys be in the mix for your goalies if you were putting the team if you were U.S. team GM David Poile?
- Should we start some sort of “good goalie in bad situation” support group for guys like Miller?
Aug 28, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Will one be named this season?
Aug 28, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT
The new coach wants the Penguins to ‘lessen the load.’
Aug 28, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
It wasn’t even close.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
They have a lot of players on their roster with something to prove.
Aug 28, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
There’s no timetable for his return.
Aug 28, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
The former first round pick is entering the last season of his entry-level contract.
Aug 28, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Chris Stewart seems to think so.
Aug 28, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Arizona or Carolina could relocate according to the host.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Milano clears the air on deal with Columbus.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
To be implemented for 2014-15 season.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Calls out former coaches Marc Crawford, Alain Vigneault and John Tortorella
Aug 28, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
After a solid junior career, hopes to make the Sabres as an 18-year-old.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
Last appeared in 10 games with the Montreal Canadiens during the 2012-13 season.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
He is scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 9.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
They’re in the middle of a rebuilding process.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
Of course, neither will be wearing a Sabres’ uniform – not yet at least.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
They’ve also appointed Don Sweeney as the AHL team’s new general manager.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT
It matters given that they will start next season with a largely unchanged roster.
Aug 27, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Ken Holland hasn’t been in contact with him lately, but that will change soon.
Aug 27, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
He hasn’t played for them since 2007.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17