Oct 4, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
If you want a snapshot of the stunning array of choices that the U.S. Olympic team possesses regarding high-end goaltending, look no further than Friday’s showdown between the Ottawa Senators’ Craig Anderson and the Buffalo Sabres’ Ryan Miller.
There was one goal scored (Erik Karlsson‘s game-winner) despite 81 shots on goal between the two teams, giving Anderson the edge over Miller, although Miller generated 45 saves to Anderson’s 35.
The first period was particularly ridiculous, as Miller stopped 23 and Anderson turned away 16.
(This post will be updated with a highlight video, because one can only assume that both netminders were forced to make some dazzling saves.)
Anyway, it all brings up some fascinating questions:
- Is it safe to say that Anderson, 32, is an elite goalie? His resume is certainly building.
- Would either of these guys be in the mix for your goalies if you were putting the team if you were U.S. team GM David Poile?
- Should we start some sort of “good goalie in bad situation” support group for guys like Miller?
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 35
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 98
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 87
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (98)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)