Oct 4, 2013, 9:59 PM EST
If you want a snapshot of the stunning array of choices that the U.S. Olympic team possesses regarding high-end goaltending, look no further than Friday’s showdown between the Ottawa Senators’ Craig Anderson and the Buffalo Sabres’ Ryan Miller.
There was one goal scored (Erik Karlsson‘s game-winner) despite 81 shots on goal between the two teams, giving Anderson the edge over Miller, although Miller generated 45 saves to Anderson’s 35.
The first period was particularly ridiculous, as Miller stopped 23 and Anderson turned away 16.
(This post will be updated with a highlight video, because one can only assume that both netminders were forced to make some dazzling saves.)
Anyway, it all brings up some fascinating questions:
- Is it safe to say that Anderson, 32, is an elite goalie? His resume is certainly building.
- Would either of these guys be in the mix for your goalies if you were putting the team if you were U.S. team GM David Poile?
- Should we start some sort of “good goalie in bad situation” support group for guys like Miller?
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)