Oct 4, 2013, 8:21 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks are going to allow Teemu Selanne to skip one of each back-to-back game set, so it appears that will begin with him sitting out Saturday and then playing on Sunday, the OC Register reports.
It’s easy to see why Selanne, 43, chose one over the other. The Ducks play against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday and then visit his first NHL city on Sunday, as Anaheim faces a road game versus the Winnipeg Jets.
Selanne admits that it’s tough to wait in the wings, yet it’s the smart choice.
“The way I look back at last year, I was a little bit stubborn about taking days off and nights off,” Selanne said. “I [will] try to be smarter this season. I know it’s a long season again. Even last year was so tough but it was hard to take days off.”
“The Finnish Flash” is probably free to take off games that aren’t even back-to-backs, but in case you’re wondering, Anaheim’s next set comes during road games against the Montreal Canadiens (Oct. 24) and the Ottawa Senators (Oct. 25). Selanne might be advised to skip that Senators squabble, as that back-to-back set is part of an eight-game road trip.
No doubt, fans who want to see Selanne one last time might end up feeling ripped off, yet that opens the door for other Ducks. Perhaps a younger player will get action when Selanne rests, or maybe they’ll even be able to get Dustin Penner back on track.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)