Oct 4, 2013, 8:21 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks are going to allow Teemu Selanne to skip one of each back-to-back game set, so it appears that will begin with him sitting out Saturday and then playing on Sunday, the OC Register reports.
It’s easy to see why Selanne, 43, chose one over the other. The Ducks play against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday and then visit his first NHL city on Sunday, as Anaheim faces a road game versus the Winnipeg Jets.
Selanne admits that it’s tough to wait in the wings, yet it’s the smart choice.
“The way I look back at last year, I was a little bit stubborn about taking days off and nights off,” Selanne said. “I [will] try to be smarter this season. I know it’s a long season again. Even last year was so tough but it was hard to take days off.”
“The Finnish Flash” is probably free to take off games that aren’t even back-to-backs, but in case you’re wondering, Anaheim’s next set comes during road games against the Montreal Canadiens (Oct. 24) and the Ottawa Senators (Oct. 25). Selanne might be advised to skip that Senators squabble, as that back-to-back set is part of an eight-game road trip.
No doubt, fans who want to see Selanne one last time might end up feeling ripped off, yet that opens the door for other Ducks. Perhaps a younger player will get action when Selanne rests, or maybe they’ll even be able to get Dustin Penner back on track.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)