Oct 4, 2013, 8:21 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks are going to allow Teemu Selanne to skip one of each back-to-back game set, so it appears that will begin with him sitting out Saturday and then playing on Sunday, the OC Register reports.
It’s easy to see why Selanne, 43, chose one over the other. The Ducks play against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday and then visit his first NHL city on Sunday, as Anaheim faces a road game versus the Winnipeg Jets.
Selanne admits that it’s tough to wait in the wings, yet it’s the smart choice.
“The way I look back at last year, I was a little bit stubborn about taking days off and nights off,” Selanne said. “I [will] try to be smarter this season. I know it’s a long season again. Even last year was so tough but it was hard to take days off.”
“The Finnish Flash” is probably free to take off games that aren’t even back-to-backs, but in case you’re wondering, Anaheim’s next set comes during road games against the Montreal Canadiens (Oct. 24) and the Ottawa Senators (Oct. 25). Selanne might be advised to skip that Senators squabble, as that back-to-back set is part of an eight-game road trip.
No doubt, fans who want to see Selanne one last time might end up feeling ripped off, yet that opens the door for other Ducks. Perhaps a younger player will get action when Selanne rests, or maybe they’ll even be able to get Dustin Penner back on track.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 3
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 13
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)