Oct 4, 2013, 8:21 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks are going to allow Teemu Selanne to skip one of each back-to-back game set, so it appears that will begin with him sitting out Saturday and then playing on Sunday, the OC Register reports.
It’s easy to see why Selanne, 43, chose one over the other. The Ducks play against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday and then visit his first NHL city on Sunday, as Anaheim faces a road game versus the Winnipeg Jets.
Selanne admits that it’s tough to wait in the wings, yet it’s the smart choice.
“The way I look back at last year, I was a little bit stubborn about taking days off and nights off,” Selanne said. “I [will] try to be smarter this season. I know it’s a long season again. Even last year was so tough but it was hard to take days off.”
“The Finnish Flash” is probably free to take off games that aren’t even back-to-backs, but in case you’re wondering, Anaheim’s next set comes during road games against the Montreal Canadiens (Oct. 24) and the Ottawa Senators (Oct. 25). Selanne might be advised to skip that Senators squabble, as that back-to-back set is part of an eight-game road trip.
No doubt, fans who want to see Selanne one last time might end up feeling ripped off, yet that opens the door for other Ducks. Perhaps a younger player will get action when Selanne rests, or maybe they’ll even be able to get Dustin Penner back on track.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 71
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)