Oct 4, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks earned a 6-4 victory against the Washington Capitals in their season opener, but their lines will still be a little different on Saturday.
“We want to get everybody in here the next few games before we get too far into the season,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenenville told the Chicago Tribune.
Smith is a former sixth round pick that’s been slowly working his way up the depth charts in recent years. He had 47 points in 54 AHL games last season and got his name on the Stanley Cup after replacing an injured Marian Hossa for one Stanley Cup Final game.
The Blackhawks entered the season with predominantly the same cast that captured the Cup mere months ago, but they did part ways with some of their complimentary players. That’s created an opportunity for Smith and Hayes to battle for a regular spot on the defending champions.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)