Oct 4, 2013, 9:19 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators’ offseason signings seemed to add more of the same this summer, but inking Viktor Stalberg produced almost universal approval. Unfortunately, he hasn’t been able to show off his skills for fans yet, but the good news is that Barry Trotz told the Tennessean’s Josh Cooper that Stalberg skated on Friday.
Stalberg, suffered a shoulder injury on Sept. 25, prompting an estimated return window between 3-4 weeks. We’re a little over a week in, so this might imply that he could fall in the shorter end of that range, if not return earlier.
Of course, everyone’s rehab is different, and these situations often lead to many setbacks.
Whenever he can come back, Stalberg could see a significant jump in opportunities from when he played with the Chicago Blackhawks.
He managed some very nice results even when he wasn’t given a substantial role. The best example came when he scored 22 goals and 43 points in 79 games in 2011-12 despite only receiving a little more than 14 minutes per game and about 30 seconds of power play time each night.
Could he become a legitimate producer once he leaves the Blackhawks and gets a more pronounced role elsewhere, like Andrew Ladd and Dustin Byfuglien? The Predators are hoping for that much … eventually.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)