Oct 4, 2013, 9:19 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators’ offseason signings seemed to add more of the same this summer, but inking Viktor Stalberg produced almost universal approval. Unfortunately, he hasn’t been able to show off his skills for fans yet, but the good news is that Barry Trotz told the Tennessean’s Josh Cooper that Stalberg skated on Friday.
Stalberg, suffered a shoulder injury on Sept. 25, prompting an estimated return window between 3-4 weeks. We’re a little over a week in, so this might imply that he could fall in the shorter end of that range, if not return earlier.
Of course, everyone’s rehab is different, and these situations often lead to many setbacks.
Whenever he can come back, Stalberg could see a significant jump in opportunities from when he played with the Chicago Blackhawks.
He managed some very nice results even when he wasn’t given a substantial role. The best example came when he scored 22 goals and 43 points in 79 games in 2011-12 despite only receiving a little more than 14 minutes per game and about 30 seconds of power play time each night.
Could he become a legitimate producer once he leaves the Blackhawks and gets a more pronounced role elsewhere, like Andrew Ladd and Dustin Byfuglien? The Predators are hoping for that much … eventually.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 73
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50