Oct 4, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
As it turns out, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will only miss the first two games of the regular season. The 20-year-old star center is expected to be in the lineup Monday when his Edmonton Oilers host the New Jersey Devils.
Nugent-Hopkins had shoulder surgery on April 23 and didn’t play during the preseason. (What he did do, though, was sign a $42 million contract extension.)
Even with the return of Nugent-Hopkins, head coach Dallas Eakins reportedly wouldn’t rule out Taylor Hall remaining at center. The Oilers are still without their other true top-six center, Sam Gagner (broken jaw), for a while.
Edmonton plays Saturday in Vancouver before returning home for the Devils game.
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Eastern Conference Final Game 7 6
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 53
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (53)