Oct 4, 2013, 2:37 PM EST
As it turns out, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will only miss the first two games of the regular season. The 20-year-old star center is expected to be in the lineup Monday when his Edmonton Oilers host the New Jersey Devils.
Nugent-Hopkins had shoulder surgery on April 23 and didn’t play during the preseason. (What he did do, though, was sign a $42 million contract extension.)
Even with the return of Nugent-Hopkins, head coach Dallas Eakins reportedly wouldn’t rule out Taylor Hall remaining at center. The Oilers are still without their other true top-six center, Sam Gagner (broken jaw), for a while.
Edmonton plays Saturday in Vancouver before returning home for the Devils game.
Nugent-Hopkins saw his surgeon in Cleveland last week. Got final go ahead after yesterday's practice. Teammates got word today.—
Joanne Ireland (@jirelandEJ) October 04, 2013
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)