Oct 4, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
As it turns out, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will only miss the first two games of the regular season. The 20-year-old star center is expected to be in the lineup Monday when his Edmonton Oilers host the New Jersey Devils.
Nugent-Hopkins had shoulder surgery on April 23 and didn’t play during the preseason. (What he did do, though, was sign a $42 million contract extension.)
Even with the return of Nugent-Hopkins, head coach Dallas Eakins reportedly wouldn’t rule out Taylor Hall remaining at center. The Oilers are still without their other true top-six center, Sam Gagner (broken jaw), for a while.
Edmonton plays Saturday in Vancouver before returning home for the Devils game.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)