Oct 4, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
The notion that the Toronto media seems like it’s always swarming usually can provide a lot of extra pressure on Maple Leafs players and coaches. It seems like Randy Carlyle is using it as an escape hatch, instead.
When asked about re-signed center Nazem Kadri playing a third-line role, Carlyle made it seem like the media was blowing everything out of proportion.
“I think you guys read a lot more into it … you always look for some form of negativity in one guy or the other,” Carlyle said. “I don’t look at it that way.”
Kadri, 22, essentially gave the “it is what it is” response.
“That’s just something that is going to happen; the juggling of lines,” Kadri said. “I don’t think it’ll be the last time you see it this year. I think every guy is good on this team no matter what role they are given and it means you’ve just got to pick it up a little more to get that ice back.”
There’s obviously plenty of time for Kadri to rise back up in the lineup, but Carlyle will feel emboldened to do things his way as the team keeps winning.
Kadri should look on the bright side: at least this isn’t his contract year.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 10
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 18
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)