Oct 4, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
The notion that the Toronto media seems like it’s always swarming usually can provide a lot of extra pressure on Maple Leafs players and coaches. It seems like Randy Carlyle is using it as an escape hatch, instead.
When asked about re-signed center Nazem Kadri playing a third-line role, Carlyle made it seem like the media was blowing everything out of proportion.
“I think you guys read a lot more into it … you always look for some form of negativity in one guy or the other,” Carlyle said. “I don’t look at it that way.”
Kadri, 22, essentially gave the “it is what it is” response.
“That’s just something that is going to happen; the juggling of lines,” Kadri said. “I don’t think it’ll be the last time you see it this year. I think every guy is good on this team no matter what role they are given and it means you’ve just got to pick it up a little more to get that ice back.”
There’s obviously plenty of time for Kadri to rise back up in the lineup, but Carlyle will feel emboldened to do things his way as the team keeps winning.
Kadri should look on the bright side: at least this isn’t his contract year.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)