Oct 4, 2013, 3:27 PM EST
It may sound odd coming from a guy like John Scott, but apparently the big Sabres enforcer isn’t a huge fan of staged fights.
“The staged fighting, the fights that don’t really mean anything, I can do without those,” Scott told The Buffalo News today. “I know I’ve been in a few of those in my career, but there’s a time and place for every fight. Sometimes they don’t really matter. I can see where the league is coming from and the fans are coming from.”
The NHL tried to reduce staged fights back in 2009, with general managers proposing a 10-minute misconduct for players who drop their gloves immediately after a faceoff. The NHLPA blocked that proposal, however.
Those who believe staged fights should be treated no differently have argued that a tussle between two heavyweights can change the momentum of the game and/or provide energy to a team that’s in need of a boost.
Still others have argued that staged fights are just…kinda awesome.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)