Oct 4, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
It may sound odd coming from a guy like John Scott, but apparently the big Sabres enforcer isn’t a huge fan of staged fights.
“The staged fighting, the fights that don’t really mean anything, I can do without those,” Scott told The Buffalo News today. “I know I’ve been in a few of those in my career, but there’s a time and place for every fight. Sometimes they don’t really matter. I can see where the league is coming from and the fans are coming from.”
The NHL tried to reduce staged fights back in 2009, with general managers proposing a 10-minute misconduct for players who drop their gloves immediately after a faceoff. The NHLPA blocked that proposal, however.
Those who believe staged fights should be treated no differently have argued that a tussle between two heavyweights can change the momentum of the game and/or provide energy to a team that’s in need of a boost.
Still others have argued that staged fights are just…kinda awesome.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 0
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 8
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)