Oct 4, 2013, 3:27 PM EST
It may sound odd coming from a guy like John Scott, but apparently the big Sabres enforcer isn’t a huge fan of staged fights.
“The staged fighting, the fights that don’t really mean anything, I can do without those,” Scott told The Buffalo News today. “I know I’ve been in a few of those in my career, but there’s a time and place for every fight. Sometimes they don’t really matter. I can see where the league is coming from and the fans are coming from.”
The NHL tried to reduce staged fights back in 2009, with general managers proposing a 10-minute misconduct for players who drop their gloves immediately after a faceoff. The NHLPA blocked that proposal, however.
Those who believe staged fights should be treated no differently have argued that a tussle between two heavyweights can change the momentum of the game and/or provide energy to a team that’s in need of a boost.
Still others have argued that staged fights are just…kinda awesome.
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 3
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 28
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 30
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 55
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (55)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)