Oct 4, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Jack Hillen won’t be returning from Calgary Flames forward Lance Bouma’s hit anytime soon. He will have surgery today and is projected to be sidelined for months, reports Washington Post writer Katie Carrera.
Hillen sustained the injury near the midway point of the first period in Washington’s 5-4 shootout victory on Thursday. The 27-year-old defenseman stayed on his feet and attempted to skate off after the initial check, but he couldn’t seem to put any weight on his leg and fell to the ice.
Bouma wasn’t penalized for the hit itself, but he got into a fight with Tom Wilson as a result:
This is another unfortunate blow for Hillen, who missed roughly half of the 2013 campaign with an upper-body injury. This injury also increases the odds that 22-year-old defenseman Alexander Urbom will make his Capitals debut soon after being claimed off waivers from the New Jersey Devils.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 0
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 4
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)