Oct 4, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
The Florida Panthers have signed Tim Thomas, so Clemmensen’s road back into the Panthers’ roster seems to be blocked. It’s always possible that the Panthers will chose to send 23-year-old Jacob Markstrom back to the minors, but that would be counterintuitive given that Thomas is suppose to mentor the younger goaltender.
“As of next Monday, our management staff will sit down and talk about what’s best for our team,” Panthers coach Kevin Dineen told the Miami Herald.
“We expect our goaltending to be a strength this year. But this is all talk. Let’s play and let things sort themselves out.”
It’s worth noting that just because Clemmensen cleared waivers doesn’t necessarily mean there’s no interest in him. He’s still a solid backup when healthy, but his $1.2 million cap hit might have been the sticking point at this early stage of the season. If Florida want to move him, they might be able to if they agree to retain a portion of that cap hit.
Clemmensen is 36 years old and in the final season of his contract, so if he gets little to no playing time in the NHL this season, it might be particularly hard for him to earn a new one-way deal over the summer.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)