Oct 4, 2013, 12:47 AM EDT
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates gave goalie Braden Holtby a vote of confidence following Thursday’s game against the Calgary Flames.
Holtby got the start in net, but allowed three goals on only 11 shots and was yanked before the end of the first period. The Capitals, despite trailing by deficits of 3-0 and 4-1 came back to win the game 5-4 in the shootout.
Michal Neuvirth came in to replace Holtby, and made 27 saves for the victory.
Despite his struggles, it appears Holtby will be the starting goalie when the Capitals play the Dallas Stars on Saturday, as Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington reports.
“Everybody has hiccups. Everybody,” Oates said, as per CSN Washington. “He’s got to understand that to me, that’s what it is.”
Capitals defenseman Jack Hillen left the game in the first period and did not return, after taking a hit from Flames forward Lance Bouma.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)