Oct 4, 2013, 12:47 AM EDT
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates gave goalie Braden Holtby a vote of confidence following Thursday’s game against the Calgary Flames.
Holtby got the start in net, but allowed three goals on only 11 shots and was yanked before the end of the first period. The Capitals, despite trailing by deficits of 3-0 and 4-1 came back to win the game 5-4 in the shootout.
Michal Neuvirth came in to replace Holtby, and made 27 saves for the victory.
Despite his struggles, it appears Holtby will be the starting goalie when the Capitals play the Dallas Stars on Saturday, as Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington reports.
“Everybody has hiccups. Everybody,” Oates said, as per CSN Washington. “He’s got to understand that to me, that’s what it is.”
Capitals defenseman Jack Hillen left the game in the first period and did not return, after taking a hit from Flames forward Lance Bouma.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 4
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 22
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)