Oct 4, 2013, 12:47 AM EDT
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates gave goalie Braden Holtby a vote of confidence following Thursday’s game against the Calgary Flames.
Holtby got the start in net, but allowed three goals on only 11 shots and was yanked before the end of the first period. The Capitals, despite trailing by deficits of 3-0 and 4-1 came back to win the game 5-4 in the shootout.
Michal Neuvirth came in to replace Holtby, and made 27 saves for the victory.
Despite his struggles, it appears Holtby will be the starting goalie when the Capitals play the Dallas Stars on Saturday, as Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington reports.
“Everybody has hiccups. Everybody,” Oates said, as per CSN Washington. “He’s got to understand that to me, that’s what it is.”
Capitals defenseman Jack Hillen left the game in the first period and did not return, after taking a hit from Flames forward Lance Bouma.
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 13
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 42
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)