Oct 4, 2013, 12:47 AM EDT
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates gave goalie Braden Holtby a vote of confidence following Thursday’s game against the Calgary Flames.
Holtby got the start in net, but allowed three goals on only 11 shots and was yanked before the end of the first period. The Capitals, despite trailing by deficits of 3-0 and 4-1 came back to win the game 5-4 in the shootout.
Michal Neuvirth came in to replace Holtby, and made 27 saves for the victory.
Despite his struggles, it appears Holtby will be the starting goalie when the Capitals play the Dallas Stars on Saturday, as Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington reports.
“Everybody has hiccups. Everybody,” Oates said, as per CSN Washington. “He’s got to understand that to me, that’s what it is.”
Capitals defenseman Jack Hillen left the game in the first period and did not return, after taking a hit from Flames forward Lance Bouma.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)