Oct 4, 2013, 12:47 AM EST
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates gave goalie Braden Holtby a vote of confidence following Thursday’s game against the Calgary Flames.
Holtby got the start in net, but allowed three goals on only 11 shots and was yanked before the end of the first period. The Capitals, despite trailing by deficits of 3-0 and 4-1 came back to win the game 5-4 in the shootout.
Michal Neuvirth came in to replace Holtby, and made 27 saves for the victory.
Despite his struggles, it appears Holtby will be the starting goalie when the Capitals play the Dallas Stars on Saturday, as Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington reports.
“Everybody has hiccups. Everybody,” Oates said, as per CSN Washington. “He’s got to understand that to me, that’s what it is.”
Capitals defenseman Jack Hillen left the game in the first period and did not return, after taking a hit from Flames forward Lance Bouma.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 6
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 48
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 39
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (51)