Oct 4, 2013, 1:12 AM EDT
It was a wildly quick start Thursday for the St. Louis Blues.
They jumped out to a 3-0 lead over the Nashville Predators before the game was even 10 minutes old, on their way to a 4-2 victory. There’s competition in the city of St. Louis right now.
“We’ve beat the [stuffing] out of each other for two, three weeks,” Blues’ captain David Backes told NHL.com.
“It’s nice to finally play for keeps and finally play against a different opponent. You get the rah-rah stuff in before, you’ve got a lot of adrenaline going.
“The [St. Louis Cardinals] scored nine today [in a 9-1 victory against the Pittsburgh Pirates in the National League Division Series]. We were trying to keep up but couldn’t do it.”
Prior to the game, Brett Hull, the Blues’ new executive vice-president, was had the duty of dropping the puck in the ceremonial faceoff.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)