Oct 3, 2013, 8:49 PM EST
Matt Cooke and controversy often go together — but not in the context of scoring a goal.
On Thursday, they did.
Cooke, playing in his first regular-season game with the Wild, deflected a Kyle Brodziak shot past Jonathan Quick for the opening tally against the Kings — only Cooke appeared to direct it with his skate.
Here’s the video:
The NHL’s situation room ruled it a good goal, and later followed with this explanation:
At 1:04 of the first period in the Kings/Wild game, video review confirmed the referee’s call on the ice that Kyle Brodziak’s shot deflected off Matt Cooke’s skate and into the net in a legal fashion.
The determining factor was that the speed of the puck propelled it into the net and that Cooke’s skate only redirected it.
According to Rule 49.2 “A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal.”
Good goal Minnesota.
The decision came as a surprise to many, including Fox Sports North analyst and ex-NHLer Ben Clymer:
I think the Cooke/Broadziak goal is going to be called back for kicking motion. Still great offensive pressure. @mnwild
— Ben Clymer (@ben_clymer) October 4, 2013
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)