Oct 3, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
For the Vancouver Canucks, the John Tortorella era officially starts tonight in San Jose against the same team that swept them out of the playoffs in May.
That Sharks’ four-game victory ended up costing Alain Vigneault his long-held job behind the Canucks’ bench, paving the way for the hiring of Tortorella, who was fired by the New York Rangers, who then hired Vigneault.
Yeah, it’s been an interesting summer.
According to Tortorella, the goal for his team tonight can be summed up with one word: aggression.
“I just hope we’re aggressive,” he said, per NHL.com. “We have a mindset that if we’re going to make mistakes it’s going to be through the aggressive side, not testing the waters, not being in-between. We’ll chip out the mistakes as we go through, but I want those mistakes to be made by being over-aggressive.”
Specifically, Tortorella has said he wants his defensemen getting up the ice and pinching to keep pucks in, even if it means the occasional odd-man rush surrendered.
On that note, it should be interesting to see how much Tortorella plays those four in 2013-14. In New York, he leaned heavily on the likes of Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh, Michael Del Zotto and, when healthy, Marc Staal.
Vigneault, on the other hand, liked to spread out the minutes among all six d-men a bit more.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)