Oct 3, 2013, 5:06 PM EST
For the Vancouver Canucks, the John Tortorella era officially starts tonight in San Jose against the same team that swept them out of the playoffs in May.
That Sharks’ four-game victory ended up costing Alain Vigneault his long-held job behind the Canucks’ bench, paving the way for the hiring of Tortorella, who was fired by the New York Rangers, who then hired Vigneault.
Yeah, it’s been an interesting summer.
According to Tortorella, the goal for his team tonight can be summed up with one word: aggression.
“I just hope we’re aggressive,” he said, per NHL.com. “We have a mindset that if we’re going to make mistakes it’s going to be through the aggressive side, not testing the waters, not being in-between. We’ll chip out the mistakes as we go through, but I want those mistakes to be made by being over-aggressive.”
Specifically, Tortorella has said he wants his defensemen getting up the ice and pinching to keep pucks in, even if it means the occasional odd-man rush surrendered.
On that note, it should be interesting to see how much Tortorella plays those four in 2013-14. In New York, he leaned heavily on the likes of Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh, Michael Del Zotto and, when healthy, Marc Staal.
Vigneault, on the other hand, liked to spread out the minutes among all six d-men a bit more.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)