Oct 3, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
San Jose will open 2013-14 without one of its veteran blueline presences.
It’s unclear exactly what Stuart hurt or how close he is to returning, but one thing is certain — he made an impact last season, his first back in San Jose, and will be missed on Thursday.
A physical presence, Stuart had 87 hits and 89 blocked shots last season for the Sharks, averaging 20:27 TOI per game during the regular season and 19:09 in the playoffs.
His presence is doubly valuable given Brent Burns‘ move from defense to forward — tonight, San Jose will be forced to go with a patchwork blueline consisting of Dan Boyle, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Matt Irwin, Scott Hannan, Justin Braun and Jason Demers.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 24
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)