Oct 3, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
San Jose will open 2013-14 without one of its veteran blueline presences.
It’s unclear exactly what Stuart hurt or how close he is to returning, but one thing is certain — he made an impact last season, his first back in San Jose, and will be missed on Thursday.
A physical presence, Stuart had 87 hits and 89 blocked shots last season for the Sharks, averaging 20:27 TOI per game during the regular season and 19:09 in the playoffs.
His presence is doubly valuable given Brent Burns‘ move from defense to forward — tonight, San Jose will be forced to go with a patchwork blueline consisting of Dan Boyle, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Matt Irwin, Scott Hannan, Justin Braun and Jason Demers.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 0
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 34
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54