Oct 3, 2013, 4:39 PM EST
San Jose will open 2013-14 without one of its veteran blueline presences.
It’s unclear exactly what Stuart hurt or how close he is to returning, but one thing is certain — he made an impact last season, his first back in San Jose, and will be missed on Thursday.
A physical presence, Stuart had 87 hits and 89 blocked shots last season for the Sharks, averaging 20:27 TOI per game during the regular season and 19:09 in the playoffs.
His presence is doubly valuable given Brent Burns‘ move from defense to forward — tonight, San Jose will be forced to go with a patchwork blueline consisting of Dan Boyle, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Matt Irwin, Scott Hannan, Justin Braun and Jason Demers.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 16
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)