Oct 3, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
Odd development out of Boston tonight as Tampa Bay defenseman Sami Salo — who took part in the morning skate and hasn’t missed any practices recently — was pulled from the lineup in favor of Mark Barberio.
Salo, 39, reportedly suffered some sort of upper-body injury.
While it’s unclear exactly what caused the injury, how it happened or what the severity is, news of Salo getting hurt won’t come as much of a surprise. Despite a surprisingly healthy 2013 campaign that saw him play in 46 of 48 games, the veteran Finn has had horrible luck with injuries over the course of his career.
In 2011, a Globe and Mail article on Salo suggested he’d suffered around 40 injuries throughout his career, including a torn Achilles that cost him 52 games during the 2010-11 campaign.
Salo is in the second season of a two-year, $7.5 million deal signed with the Lightning in 2012. He scored 17 points last season and averaged nearly 21 minutes per night.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 6
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)