Oct 3, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Odd development out of Boston tonight as Tampa Bay defenseman Sami Salo — who took part in the morning skate and hasn’t missed any practices recently — was pulled from the lineup in favor of Mark Barberio.
Salo, 39, reportedly suffered some sort of upper-body injury.
While it’s unclear exactly what caused the injury, how it happened or what the severity is, news of Salo getting hurt won’t come as much of a surprise. Despite a surprisingly healthy 2013 campaign that saw him play in 46 of 48 games, the veteran Finn has had horrible luck with injuries over the course of his career.
In 2011, a Globe and Mail article on Salo suggested he’d suffered around 40 injuries throughout his career, including a torn Achilles that cost him 52 games during the 2010-11 campaign.
Salo is in the second season of a two-year, $7.5 million deal signed with the Lightning in 2012. He scored 17 points last season and averaged nearly 21 minutes per night.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)