Oct 3, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
Odd development out of Boston tonight as Tampa Bay defenseman Sami Salo — who took part in the morning skate and hasn’t missed any practices recently — was pulled from the lineup in favor of Mark Barberio.
Salo, 39, reportedly suffered some sort of upper-body injury.
While it’s unclear exactly what caused the injury, how it happened or what the severity is, news of Salo getting hurt won’t come as much of a surprise. Despite a surprisingly healthy 2013 campaign that saw him play in 46 of 48 games, the veteran Finn has had horrible luck with injuries over the course of his career.
In 2011, a Globe and Mail article on Salo suggested he’d suffered around 40 injuries throughout his career, including a torn Achilles that cost him 52 games during the 2010-11 campaign.
Salo is in the second season of a two-year, $7.5 million deal signed with the Lightning in 2012. He scored 17 points last season and averaged nearly 21 minutes per night.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 7
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 9
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 8
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)