Oct 3, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Odd development out of Boston tonight as Tampa Bay defenseman Sami Salo — who took part in the morning skate and hasn’t missed any practices recently — was pulled from the lineup in favor of Mark Barberio.
Salo, 39, reportedly suffered some sort of upper-body injury.
While it’s unclear exactly what caused the injury, how it happened or what the severity is, news of Salo getting hurt won’t come as much of a surprise. Despite a surprisingly healthy 2013 campaign that saw him play in 46 of 48 games, the veteran Finn has had horrible luck with injuries over the course of his career.
In 2011, a Globe and Mail article on Salo suggested he’d suffered around 40 injuries throughout his career, including a torn Achilles that cost him 52 games during the 2010-11 campaign.
Salo is in the second season of a two-year, $7.5 million deal signed with the Lightning in 2012. He scored 17 points last season and averaged nearly 21 minutes per night.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)