Oct 3, 2013, 7:54 PM EDT
Braden Holtby and the Washington Capitals haven’t exactly started 2013-14 with a bang.
Holtby, who allowed five goals in a season-opening loss to Chicago on Tuesday, was yanked with less than four minutes to go in the first period against Calgary tonight after allowing three goals on 11 shots.
Things began just 5:18 into the game when Flames winger David Jones beat Holtby with a short side snapper. Five minutes later, Lee Stempniak made it 2-0 after banging home a rebound in close, and Jiri Hudler made it 3-0 for Calgary on the power play at the 16:22 mark.
That prompted Caps head coach Adam Oates to yank Holtby and insert Michal Neuvirth. Calgary finished the first period up by three, though Washington actually outshot the Flames 12-11.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Bolts just needed a spark, he explained.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:27 PM EDT
There was no penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Jimmy Howard had a shutout in the goaltending duel.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Can Dallas build on its late-game momentum?
Apr 18, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Game 3 will be played in Montreal.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
Naturally, the Blackhawks-Blues triple-overtime game was very popular.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
Detroit was near the bottom of the pack in hits in the regular season.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
They took a 1-0 lead over Tampa Bay in the process.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
“We expected a tough series against (St. Louis).”
Apr 18, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
The rookie had three assists last night.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
The last of the first round series is about to begin.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Montreal has a 1-0 series lead.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
This isn’t the first time he’s been fined.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
That’s a pretty bold statement, given that Nashville used to have blueliners like Kimmo Timonen and Ryan Suter.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Apparently, the “Coyotes, Ducks, Kings, and Sharks are on board” with relocating their minor-league affiliates closer to home.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
The year was 1957…
Apr 18, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
Unlike the last coach he had in Vancouver.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Devante Smith-Pelley will draw in.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
30-year-old vet led the league in scoring.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Usually he reserves that word for his own team.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 10
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 15
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25