Roy to hear from NHL about outburst, no fine expected (Updated)

Oct 3, 2013, 9:50 AM EST

Patrick Roy AP

Colorado Avalanche coach Patrick Roy provided plenty of fireworks last night in his shouting outburst at Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau late in the team’s 6-1 win. Fortunately for him, it doesn’t sound like the league will take much action against him for it.

Sportsnet’s John Shannon reports the league will likely call Roy to discuss what went on but it’s expected he will not be fined for his actions.

If Roy sees any action taken against him, he’d be the second coach to face the wrath of the NHL for something they’ve done. Buffalo’s Ron Rolston was fined for his part in leaving enforcer John Scott on the ice during the Sabres-Maple Leafs melee during a preseason game.

Now we’ll have to wait and see what Roy will do for an encore. It might be a very fun season in Denver, win or lose.

UPDATE (1:03 p.m. ET)

According to a source of TVA’s Louis Jean, the NHL is indeed reviewing last night’s incident and claims a fine is “highly probable.”

Related – Video: Bruce Boudreau calls Patrick Roy’s actions ‘bush league’

1. esracerx46 - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Come on, didn’t we all see this coming? How many times did he pull something like this in the Q?

2. ibieiniid - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

lolllll well that was quick. Roy is awesome.

3. sjsharks66 - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I don’t understand how he will dodge a fine. Don’t get me wrong, i loved his actions last night. It is always good to see a coach back up his team.

Anyone else think that divider between the benches needs to be a bit more stable? Haha

4. dueman - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM

That’s quite the headline, considering that your story is based on nothing more than a Sportsnet reporter’s opinion, don’t you think?

• esracerx46 - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Good catch!

5. avfanforlife - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Would have laughed even harder had there been a couple of ‘between the benches’ announcers like there usually is and watched partitions fall like domino’s.

6. joey4id - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM

It would be fun to be on this call. It would probably go something like this:

NHL: Welcome to the NHL, Pat. Can you please remove your Stanley Cup rings from your ears?
    Roy: Can you repeat that? I can’t hear you very well because my Stanley Cup rings are plugged in my ears?
    Sound effect: kaboom! Cling! Cling!
    NHL: what was that?
    Sakic: I just whacked Patrick behind the head. The rings are now out. Please proceed.
    NHL: Welcome to the NHL, Pat.
    Sound effect: silence only.
    NHL: Pat! Are you there?
    Roy: of course. I wink at you. Oh! You can’t see me.
    NHL: What did you tell Boudreau that got him upset?
    Roy: Nothing! I said to Perry, “I will send my son after you. You know the crazy goalie son”
    NHL: Why did you push the glass separating the bench?
    Roy: You know. Good show! We beat the ducks bad and wanted to show how strong I am.
    NHL: We like the show. But! We don’t want coaches to get concussions. We already look bad after what Stevie Y said. You know. He wants fighting out.
    Roy: He’s crazy GM.
    NHL: He doesn’t understand that fighting is good for the show and hockey related revenue. He’s only concerned about avoiding concussions.
    Roy: Ok! My boys can punch players in the head, but you don’t want me to push on the glass.
    NHL: Correct!
    Roy: Is it ok if we get strong glass so it don’t fall when I push on it?
    NHL: Yes! That would be safer.
    Roy: Ok. Do I get fined?
    NHL: No. Just send the #33 AVs jersey with your signature to my son. Joe, can you make sure your head of arena operations can strengthen the glass between the benches?
    Sakic: Got it!
    NHL: That’s it boys! Good show! C’ya!
    Sakic: Bye!
    Roy: Bye!
    Sound effect: click! Click! Click!
    Roy: Wow! Dummies! We make them look real bad!
    Sakic: Just like the good old days, Pat. What are you planning next?
    Roy: With stronger glass I will climb on the glass for a bigger show. Make sure we have cameras everywhere.
    Sakic: Ok! Mr. Jack Adams winner….

Meanwhile back at the NHL office;

Campbell: We need to put a muzzle on Stevie. Our sponsors really don’t care about avoiding concussions and we don’t want ad revenues to decrease.
    GB: This clown, Roy. He get’s it. Can’t wait for him to be GM. BTW, Where is the NFL on the retired player’s concussion law suit?
    Campbell: Oy vey!

7. jason9696 - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I knew this moron was going to screw up sooner than later. I just didn’t think it would take him only 1 game to do so.

• hockey412 - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I think most Avs fans are calling this a good thing, not a screw up. I’m impartial, but it was entertaining.

• avfanforlife - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Screw up?? That was frickkin AWESOME! Let’s see your 1st pick star rookie player take a cheap shot that late in a blowout and see how your coach reacts! Roy was justified and the Ducks were all bent out of shape because they were getting their a$$e$ kicked!

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM

There are people who didn’t love this?

8. hockey412 - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM

At least he’ll take some attention off of Tortorella.

• hockeydon10 - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Holy crappola! I didn’t even think of that.

While I really don’t like Roy or the Avs or Torts or the Canucks, I cannot wait for that match-up.

9. joey4id - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM

No matter how big or small the theatrics are this guy has a purpose and objective to attain for each action he takes. Make no mistake about it. He may look out of control, but, the vast majority of the time he is in full control.

10. augsburg12 - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Bush league was the perfect comment.

11. mogogo1 - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM

He’s always been a hot head, so no real surprise. He’s also basically said his goal this season is to take the scrutiny and pressure off his players, so that makes it even less surprising.

12. pxland - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Love it. It’s been too many years as an Avalanche fan seeing absolutely no passion behind the bench. Sometimes I wondered if Sacco had a pulse, or any kind of buy-in to the team at all.

The ducks gooned it up at the end and the Avs weren’t afraid to answer. They’ve been allowed by the previous coaching staff to be pushed around for far too long.

13. dougefresh1991 - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I think since he is a first time coach, give him a warning.

• bauxjangles - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM

First time NHL coach, but he’s coached some minor hockey since 2005

14. bauxjangles - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I personally love what Roy did, but he has to get fined. This can’t be a league run with heart and not head.

15. mikey970 - Oct 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM

the first of many fines for Roy

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches