Oct 3, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
Nashville with be without one of its brightest young prospects until at least next week.
Filip Forsberg, the 19-year-old forward acquired from Washington at last year’s deadline, won’t play in tonight’s season opener against St. Louis or Friday’s tilt against Colorado, The Tennessean reports.
Forsberg is dealing with a lower-body injury but has resumed practice, skating with the team on Wednesday.
The loss is a big one for Nashville, a team that struggled offensively last year and saw good things out of Forsberg during the preseason. He showed chemistry on a line with David Legwand and Gabriel Bourque, the latter praising the young Swede’s overall game.
“He is a kid who is really talented,” Bourque said. “He has come with the puck and made some great plays. He’s made some unreal passes. It’s hard to believe he’s only 19.”
The injury has forced Preds head coach Barry Trotz to jumble his lines for tonight’s game vs. the Blues. Bourque will likely play alongside Mike Fisher and Craig Smith on the second line, while Legwand will center the third line between Patric Hornqvist and Colin Wilson.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 3
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)