Oct 3, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
Nashville with be without one of its brightest young prospects until at least next week.
Filip Forsberg, the 19-year-old forward acquired from Washington at last year’s deadline, won’t play in tonight’s season opener against St. Louis or Friday’s tilt against Colorado, The Tennessean reports.
Forsberg is dealing with a lower-body injury but has resumed practice, skating with the team on Wednesday.
The loss is a big one for Nashville, a team that struggled offensively last year and saw good things out of Forsberg during the preseason. He showed chemistry on a line with David Legwand and Gabriel Bourque, the latter praising the young Swede’s overall game.
“He is a kid who is really talented,” Bourque said. “He has come with the puck and made some great plays. He’s made some unreal passes. It’s hard to believe he’s only 19.”
The injury has forced Preds head coach Barry Trotz to jumble his lines for tonight’s game vs. the Blues. Bourque will likely play alongside Mike Fisher and Craig Smith on the second line, while Legwand will center the third line between Patric Hornqvist and Colin Wilson.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 20
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 33
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)