Oct 3, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Nashville with be without one of its brightest young prospects until at least next week.
Filip Forsberg, the 19-year-old forward acquired from Washington at last year’s deadline, won’t play in tonight’s season opener against St. Louis or Friday’s tilt against Colorado, The Tennessean reports.
Forsberg is dealing with a lower-body injury but has resumed practice, skating with the team on Wednesday.
The loss is a big one for Nashville, a team that struggled offensively last year and saw good things out of Forsberg during the preseason. He showed chemistry on a line with David Legwand and Gabriel Bourque, the latter praising the young Swede’s overall game.
“He is a kid who is really talented,” Bourque said. “He has come with the puck and made some great plays. He’s made some unreal passes. It’s hard to believe he’s only 19.”
The injury has forced Preds head coach Barry Trotz to jumble his lines for tonight’s game vs. the Blues. Bourque will likely play alongside Mike Fisher and Craig Smith on the second line, while Legwand will center the third line between Patric Hornqvist and Colin Wilson.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 1
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 4
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 26
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)