Oct 3, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins got the win Thursday, but it came with a price.
James Neal left the game and did not return, although initially there was no reason given as to why.
James Neal will not return to tonight's game.—
Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) October 04, 2013
According to the Penguins’ official Twitter account, Neal suffered an “upper-body injury” and head coach Dan Bylsma didn’t want it aggravated in just the first game of the season.
Neal will be evaluated tomorrow, as per Bylsma.
Penguins’ goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who has put on some forgettable playoff performances over the past two years, made 27 saves for the shutout. Pittsburgh defeated the New Jersey Devils by a score of 3-0.
It was also Cory Schneider‘s first regular season start for the Devils.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 12
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 23
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 25
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 19
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 55
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6