Penguins’ Neal leaves Thursday’s game

Oct 3, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT

The Pittsburgh Penguins got the win Thursday, but it came with a price.

James Neal left the game and did not return, although initially there was no reason given as to why.

According to the Penguins’ official Twitter account, Neal suffered an “upper-body injury” and head coach Dan Bylsma didn’t want it aggravated in just the first game of the season.

Neal will be evaluated tomorrow, as per Bylsma.

Penguins’ goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who has put on some forgettable playoff performances over the past two years, made 27 saves for the shutout. Pittsburgh defeated the New Jersey Devils by a score of 3-0.

It was also Cory Schneider‘s first regular season start for the Devils.

1. killerpgh - Oct 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Neal was a game time decision for the game after missing practice the last few days. Looks like it was the wrong decision as far as his health goes.

2. curioustraveler13 - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM

That was a great way to start the season. Fleury had some incredible saves for his shutout. Scuderi was a huge acquisition this offseason. This team isn’t even fully healthy and their dominating. I am so happy to have regular season hockey back.

• jpelle82 - Oct 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM

it was the devils…dont get too excited. dominating implies they’ve done it more than once, being the first game and against a pathetic team, its hard to say they are dominat-ing. they dominated the devils though, as they should have.

signed,
      penguins fan.

• macgrubie - Oct 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM

New / pens hockey fans are funny!

3. antmel30 - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Curious you do realize that nj is horrible this year. Their top scorers are all over 35? Plus this isn’t the playoffs so fleury is fine till you get there. I love Pitt fans always pumped they are the regular season champs. Enjoy the win but calm down with the dominate talk you beat probably one of the worst teams in hockey this year. I am convinced after reading your posts you are a fare weather fan. I respect true Pitt hockey fans but most of your comments are horrible. Learn the game and research before you make your dumb comments

• curioustraveler13 - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Haha season ticket holder for 10 years (only 26) never leave early even when were being blown out. Always support my team through the ups and downs. Yep you got it bud I’m a fair weather fan. If you think New Jersey is crap just wait to see how the division shakes out. I bet they will be top 3 in the metropolitan. I meant we dominated that game by the way not like I meant were going to dominate all season after game 1. It wouldn’t suprise me though.

• flyersfan82 - Oct 4, 2013 at 7:32 AM

A fan for 10 years? There were no pens fans prior to 2005.

• hazlydose - Oct 4, 2013 at 12:54 AM

The devils have always had our number. Their trap gives the Pens breakout fits.

• chasbeattie313 - Oct 4, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Unfortunately for flyersfan there have been Penquins fans since the later 60’s &the Pgh. Hornets, and yes it is great to be back with a full season. Also hoping to have full seasons with both Crosby & Malkin.

• gregman98 - Oct 4, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Speaking of dumb comments, a “fare” is something you pay.

Be fair to the rest of us and learn some grammar before you post.

4. pitpenguinsrulez - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Already dominating? Sorry man I’m a Pens fan here and I won’t call that dominating yet. It’s not like the March of The Penguins we had earlier this year. It’s still the first game of the year. Despite the Pirates crapping the dust earlier vs St. Louis in Game One atleast the Penguins were able to make the second half of Bucs ‘n Pucks a success. It always puts a smile on my face when Captain Crosby scores a goal!!! Overall a solid game with an awesome result!

• curioustraveler13 - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Meant dominated that game without letsng and Neal. Not the season.

5. malkinrulez - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Nice win for Pens but NJ was in our end most of the 2nd period. Pens had 3 shots in 2nd that being said defense looked tighter and Flower was amazing. Overall without Letang and Neal was a nice win.

6. antmel30 - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Curious your going to put the devils third in metro ahead of teams like blue jackets, rangers, caps, flyers and islanders. You are insane. I hope you remember that statement. The devils are never easy to play but to consider them a top 3 team is nuts. I am convinced you have not a spec of knowledge for the gm. The metro is toughest div in my opinion in hockey followed and maybe even to Atlantic. I would love to know you facts to support jersey being a top three team in metro. They are stacked with a 42 yr old jägr a 30 something Elias with maybe a yr or two left in league 42 yr old broduer who they won’t bench out of respect and Clowe who is old and declining fast

• curioustraveler13 - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Goaltending and smart defensive game is the reason I put the devils in the top 3 of the metro. All those other teams you mentioned have blemishes and ill stand by my words at the end of the season.

7. hockey412 - Oct 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM

So great to see Fleury have a great game! Still got caught out of position on occasion, but a really solid start.

8. whammy71 - Oct 4, 2013 at 8:56 AM

As I drove into work today, I could swear I saw PDPW workers preparing for the imminent parade that will occur in 9 to 10 months!

#phillyphallicsymbol
    #eagleballs
    #broadstreetmeatbeater

Ha ha ha!!!!! Just kidding. Good win last night. MAF looked good, but it is the regular season and he always looks good n the reg season. It’ll be interesting to see where this season takes the Pens.

9. martysbetter - Oct 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM

The first period was rough for the Devils, but a little more puck-luck and this game could have been a lot closer. Specifically that behind the back catch Fleury had no business making, the wide open net that Zidlicky decided to not shoot into, and a couple of other chances that just wouldn’t go.

As a Devils fan I’m going to take the fact that we out-shot and out-possessed the best offensive team in hockey as a positive, the goals were a result of some terrible defensive breakdowns but I don’t expect those to be the norm.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches