Oct 3, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins got the win Thursday, but it came with a price.
James Neal left the game and did not return, although initially there was no reason given as to why.
James Neal will not return to tonight's game.—
Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) October 04, 2013
According to the Penguins’ official Twitter account, Neal suffered an “upper-body injury” and head coach Dan Bylsma didn’t want it aggravated in just the first game of the season.
Neal will be evaluated tomorrow, as per Bylsma.
Penguins’ goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who has put on some forgettable playoff performances over the past two years, made 27 saves for the shutout. Pittsburgh defeated the New Jersey Devils by a score of 3-0.
It was also Cory Schneider‘s first regular season start for the Devils.
- Who has the best and worst special teams in the NHL? 7
- Report: NHL pondering more draft lottery changes 11
- Playoff bubble watch — Stars edition 3
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 10
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 23
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 8
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 10
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 59
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series (59)