Oct 3, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins got the win Thursday, but it came with a price.
James Neal left the game and did not return, although initially there was no reason given as to why.
According to the Penguins’ official Twitter account, Neal suffered an “upper-body injury” and head coach Dan Bylsma didn’t want it aggravated in just the first game of the season.
Neal will be evaluated tomorrow, as per Bylsma.
Penguins’ goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who has put on some forgettable playoff performances over the past two years, made 27 saves for the shutout. Pittsburgh defeated the New Jersey Devils by a score of 3-0.
It was also Cory Schneider‘s first regular season start for the Devils.
- NHL on NBCSN: Penguins kick off Rivalry Night vs. Capitals 0
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 50
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 17
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)