Oct 3, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins got the win Thursday, but it came with a price.
James Neal left the game and did not return, although initially there was no reason given as to why.
James Neal will not return to tonight's game.—
Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) October 04, 2013
According to the Penguins’ official Twitter account, Neal suffered an “upper-body injury” and head coach Dan Bylsma didn’t want it aggravated in just the first game of the season.
Neal will be evaluated tomorrow, as per Bylsma.
Penguins’ goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who has put on some forgettable playoff performances over the past two years, made 27 saves for the shutout. Pittsburgh defeated the New Jersey Devils by a score of 3-0.
It was also Cory Schneider‘s first regular season start for the Devils.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 20
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)