Oct 3, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT
Colorado Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy told reporters Thursday he’d been fined $10,000 for his actions at the end of Wednesday’s Avs-Ducks game.
Update (4:41 p.m. ET)
The NHL has confirmed the fine.
“Roy’s actions at the conclusion of the game were irresponsible,”NHL VP of hockey ops Colin Campbell said in a statement. “One of the responsibilities of an NHL coach is to help diffuse volatile situations on the bench.”
Roy, in his first game as Colorado’s bench boss, took issue with a hit late in the third period on rookie Avs forward Nathan MacKinnon. Roy then proceeded to get in verbal altercations with both Anaheim forward Corey Perry and head coach Bruce Boudreau, the latter ripping Roy for his “bush league” antics.
“A coach has no right to start yapping at players,” Boudreau said. “I told him it’s bush league.”
Following the game, Roy remained adamant the hit on MacKinnon — by Ducks blueliner Ben Lovejoy — was uncalled for.
“That should have been a penalty, in my opinion,” Roy said. “I don’t think this league needs that type of cheap shot.”
Earlier Thursday, CBC’s Elliotte Friedman said the league would not issue any supplemental discipline to Lovejoy.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)