Oct 3, 2013, 2:59 PM EST
Colorado Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy told reporters Thursday he’d been fined $10,000 for his actions at the end of Wednesday’s Avs-Ducks game.
Update (4:41 p.m. ET)
The NHL has confirmed the fine.
“Roy’s actions at the conclusion of the game were irresponsible,”NHL VP of hockey ops Colin Campbell said in a statement. “One of the responsibilities of an NHL coach is to help diffuse volatile situations on the bench.”
Roy, in his first game as Colorado’s bench boss, took issue with a hit late in the third period on rookie Avs forward Nathan MacKinnon. Roy then proceeded to get in verbal altercations with both Anaheim forward Corey Perry and head coach Bruce Boudreau, the latter ripping Roy for his “bush league” antics.
“A coach has no right to start yapping at players,” Boudreau said. “I told him it’s bush league.”
Following the game, Roy remained adamant the hit on MacKinnon — by Ducks blueliner Ben Lovejoy — was uncalled for.
“That should have been a penalty, in my opinion,” Roy said. “I don’t think this league needs that type of cheap shot.”
Earlier Thursday, CBC’s Elliotte Friedman said the league would not issue any supplemental discipline to Lovejoy.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 57
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 18
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 56
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (67)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (58)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)