Oct 3, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT
Colorado Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy told reporters Thursday he’d been fined $10,000 for his actions at the end of Wednesday’s Avs-Ducks game.
Update (4:41 p.m. ET)
The NHL has confirmed the fine.
“Roy’s actions at the conclusion of the game were irresponsible,”NHL VP of hockey ops Colin Campbell said in a statement. “One of the responsibilities of an NHL coach is to help diffuse volatile situations on the bench.”
Roy, in his first game as Colorado’s bench boss, took issue with a hit late in the third period on rookie Avs forward Nathan MacKinnon. Roy then proceeded to get in verbal altercations with both Anaheim forward Corey Perry and head coach Bruce Boudreau, the latter ripping Roy for his “bush league” antics.
“A coach has no right to start yapping at players,” Boudreau said. “I told him it’s bush league.”
Following the game, Roy remained adamant the hit on MacKinnon — by Ducks blueliner Ben Lovejoy — was uncalled for.
“That should have been a penalty, in my opinion,” Roy said. “I don’t think this league needs that type of cheap shot.”
Earlier Thursday, CBC’s Elliotte Friedman said the league would not issue any supplemental discipline to Lovejoy.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)