Oct 3, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT
Colorado Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy told reporters Thursday he’d been fined $10,000 for his actions at the end of Wednesday’s Avs-Ducks game.
Update (4:41 p.m. ET)
The NHL has confirmed the fine.
“Roy’s actions at the conclusion of the game were irresponsible,”NHL VP of hockey ops Colin Campbell said in a statement. “One of the responsibilities of an NHL coach is to help diffuse volatile situations on the bench.”
Roy, in his first game as Colorado’s bench boss, took issue with a hit late in the third period on rookie Avs forward Nathan MacKinnon. Roy then proceeded to get in verbal altercations with both Anaheim forward Corey Perry and head coach Bruce Boudreau, the latter ripping Roy for his “bush league” antics.
“A coach has no right to start yapping at players,” Boudreau said. “I told him it’s bush league.”
Following the game, Roy remained adamant the hit on MacKinnon — by Ducks blueliner Ben Lovejoy — was uncalled for.
“That should have been a penalty, in my opinion,” Roy said. “I don’t think this league needs that type of cheap shot.”
Earlier Thursday, CBC’s Elliotte Friedman said the league would not issue any supplemental discipline to Lovejoy.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 14
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 83
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (82)