Oct 3, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
Unable to find a spot on an NHL team, veteran center Manny Malhotra has accepted a 25-game professional tryout with Carolina’s AHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers.
A 33-year-old unrestricted free agent who suffered a serious eye injury in March of 2011, Malhotra played just nine games in 2013 before the Vancouver Canucks placed him on injured reserve for the remainder of the season.
Malhotra has been adamant that his vision can still allow him to be a productive player, as well as stay safe on the ice.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)