Oct 3, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Unable to find a spot on an NHL team, veteran center Manny Malhotra has accepted a 25-game professional tryout with Carolina’s AHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers.
A 33-year-old unrestricted free agent who suffered a serious eye injury in March of 2011, Malhotra played just nine games in 2013 before the Vancouver Canucks placed him on injured reserve for the remainder of the season.
Malhotra has been adamant that his vision can still allow him to be a productive player, as well as stay safe on the ice.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 6
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 16
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Pittsburgh releases Daniel Carcillo from tryout (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)