Oct 3, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Unable to find a spot on an NHL team, veteran center Manny Malhotra has accepted a 25-game professional tryout with Carolina’s AHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers.
A 33-year-old unrestricted free agent who suffered a serious eye injury in March of 2011, Malhotra played just nine games in 2013 before the Vancouver Canucks placed him on injured reserve for the remainder of the season.
Malhotra has been adamant that his vision can still allow him to be a productive player, as well as stay safe on the ice.
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 1
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 1
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7