Oct 3, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Unable to find a spot on an NHL team, veteran center Manny Malhotra has accepted a 25-game professional tryout with Carolina’s AHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers.
A 33-year-old unrestricted free agent who suffered a serious eye injury in March of 2011, Malhotra played just nine games in 2013 before the Vancouver Canucks placed him on injured reserve for the remainder of the season.
Malhotra has been adamant that his vision can still allow him to be a productive player, as well as stay safe on the ice.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)