Oct 3, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
Thursday night will be a special one for Seth Jones.
Jones, Nashville’s first-round pick (fourth overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, will make his professional debut and celebrate his 19th birthday as the Preds take on the Blues in St. Louis.
“It’s obviously a great thing that I’m here,” Jones told NHL.com. “I’m looking to move forward every day, and it starts today.
“I know [the NHL] is going to be very intense. I got a taste in preseason and I know it’s coming a little bit. You don’t really know until you get out there.”
The 6-foot-4, 205-pound rearguard is one of just a handful of ’13 draftees starting the year in the NHL (others include Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon, Florida’s Aleksander Barkov, Carolina’s Elias Lindholm, Calgary’s Sean Monahan, Buffalos’ Rasmus Ristolainen and Dallas’ Valeri Nichushkin).
But whereas others might get just a nine-game audition, Jones appears primed to spend the full year in Nashville.
“Unless we make some deals or something like that, I think he’s here for good,” head coach Barry Trotz told The Tennessean. “I think that’s our commitment. He’s proven that at this point in time. I don’t see him going anywhere.”
Tonight, it appears Jones will pair with Mattias Ekholm on the Preds blueline,
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)