Oct 3, 2013, 1:45 AM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon made his National Hockey League regular season debut for the Colorado Avalanche on Wednesday, and it was a night to remember.
Not just for his first two career assists, or the 6-1 Colorado win over the Anaheim Ducks. MacKinnon, who the Avalanche chose with the No. 1 overall pick in this year’s NHL Draft, also came close to getting in a fight with Ducks defenseman Ben Lovejoy midway through the second period.
The two would meet again later in the evening.
It’s believed the knee-on-knee hit that Lovejoy threw on MacKinnon in the third period was one of the contributing factors to a melee at the benches involving the two head coaches – Patrick Roy for Colorado and Bruce Boudreau for Anaheim – at the end of the game.
“I was not very happy, first of all, seeing their defenseman (Lovejoy) kneeing our guy (MacKinnon). That was a knee-to-knee hit and it should have been a penalty in my opinion,” Roy said after the game, according to The Denver Post.
“Certainly didn’t like that. When it’s 6-0 I don’t think this game needs this type of cheap shot.”
A video of the dust-up at the benches shows Roy yelling and pointing at a player, before he turns his attention to Boudreau.
Roy shoved the glass twice, and Boudreau afterward called Roy’s actions “bush league.”
May 22, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Almost always a good way to go.
May 22, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT
May 22, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT
Ducks trying to make life miserable for Chicago’s goalie.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 AM EDT
Game 4 goes Saturday in Chicago.
May 22, 2015, 12:12 AM EDT
So, what will the coach do for Game 4?
May 21, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago’s power play came up empty.
May 21, 2015, 10:36 PM EDT
Talk about timing.
May 21, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
Quite a sequence.
May 21, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
‘Showtime’ strikes late in the period.
May 21, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Coach Q, shaking it up.
May 21, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Pittsburgh GM won’t stand in the way.
May 21, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
Hit knocked the veteran d-man out of Game 3.
May 21, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
“To have a guy of his ilk, considered one of the best coaches in the National Hockey League, taking a real good hard look at us in Buffalo after a 30th-place finish — I thought the process was great.”
May 21, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Two-way contract for Karpat’s playoff scoring sensation.
May 21, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
A wide range of topics.
May 21, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
“It’s something that we’re working on everyday. We’re trying to do it behind closed doors and away from public scrutiny.”
May 21, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
“Word choice matters, even when attempting to be humorous.”
May 21, 2015, 2:58 PM EDT
Recently represented the United States at the worlds.
May 21, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
As many as six new head coaches could still be named.
May 21, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT
Coaches be getting paid.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)