Oct 3, 2013, 1:45 AM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon made his National Hockey League regular season debut for the Colorado Avalanche on Wednesday, and it was a night to remember.
Not just for his first two career assists, or the 6-1 Colorado win over the Anaheim Ducks. MacKinnon, who the Avalanche chose with the No. 1 overall pick in this year’s NHL Draft, also came close to getting in a fight with Ducks defenseman Ben Lovejoy midway through the second period.
The two would meet again later in the evening.
It’s believed the knee-on-knee hit that Lovejoy threw on MacKinnon in the third period was one of the contributing factors to a melee at the benches involving the two head coaches – Patrick Roy for Colorado and Bruce Boudreau for Anaheim – at the end of the game.
“I was not very happy, first of all, seeing their defenseman (Lovejoy) kneeing our guy (MacKinnon). That was a knee-to-knee hit and it should have been a penalty in my opinion,” Roy said after the game, according to The Denver Post.
“Certainly didn’t like that. When it’s 6-0 I don’t think this game needs this type of cheap shot.”
A video of the dust-up at the benches shows Roy yelling and pointing at a player, before he turns his attention to Boudreau.
Roy shoved the glass twice, and Boudreau afterward called Roy’s actions “bush league.”
Jul 7, 2015, 10:59 PM EDT
He was taken with the ninth overall selection.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
What kind of contract is he looking at?
Jul 7, 2015, 9:11 PM EDT
At one time he was regarded as a contender to be the Buffalo Sabres’ new bench boss.
Jul 7, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
Both contracts are two-ways.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
That might take a while.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
The doctor, Kozlov, allegedly has a suspected head injury.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:07 PM EDT
Backes and Schwartz have one season left on their contracts.
Jul 7, 2015, 2:38 PM EDT
Was most recently an assistant under Randy Carlyle in Toronto.
Jul 7, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
Coming off a 37-goal season.
Jul 7, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
“He’s a reliable depth forward who we know is capable of contributing offensively at either level.”
Jul 7, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT
It’s been a long negotiation.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Stepped in to play the final four games of the Stanley Cup Final.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT
Milwaukee is trying to get a new arena built.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
Jarmo Kekalainen brings a local boy into the organization.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
“He’s obviously a great talent.”
Jul 7, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
In ESPN’s The Body Issue, of course.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:22 PM EDT
“It happened pretty fast. All of a sudden two fingers are not working.”
Jul 6, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
25-year-old defenseman struggled mightily last season.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
Connor McDavid’s running mate in Erie was the OHL’s leading scorer last season.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
Quebec City and Las Vegas have already expressed interest.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)