Oct 3, 2013, 12:28 PM EST
The Washington Capitals have claimed defenseman Alexander Urbom off waivers from New Jersey.
From the Caps’ press release announcing the move:
Urbom, 22, recorded eight assists and 64 penalty minutes in 68 games with the Albany Devils of the America Hockey League (AHL) last season. The native of Stockholm, Sweden, has played in 14 career NHL games and collected two goals and nine penalty minutes.
Urbom registered 12 points (two goals, 10 assists), 33 penalty minutes in 50 games during the 2011-12 season and also represented the Devils in the 2012 AHL All-Star Classic. In 190 career AHL games, Urbom collected 43 points (four goals, 39 assists) and 161 penalty minutes.
The 6’4”, 215-pound defenseman was drafted by New Jersey in the third round (73rd overall) in the 2009 NHL Draft.
Per CapGeek, Urbom is in the final year of his entry-level contract, which pays him $550,000 in the NHL ($285,000 performance bonus) and $65,000 in the AHL.
Urbom will apparently report to the Caps.
Washington subsequently assigned center Michael Latta to AHL Hershey.
Lamoriello on losing Urbom: "No question he's a bright prospect. It's a compliment to the depth we have."—
Rich Chere (@Ledger_NJDevils) October 03, 2013
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)