Oct 3, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have claimed defenseman Alexander Urbom off waivers from New Jersey.
From the Caps’ press release announcing the move:
Urbom, 22, recorded eight assists and 64 penalty minutes in 68 games with the Albany Devils of the America Hockey League (AHL) last season. The native of Stockholm, Sweden, has played in 14 career NHL games and collected two goals and nine penalty minutes.
Urbom registered 12 points (two goals, 10 assists), 33 penalty minutes in 50 games during the 2011-12 season and also represented the Devils in the 2012 AHL All-Star Classic. In 190 career AHL games, Urbom collected 43 points (four goals, 39 assists) and 161 penalty minutes.
The 6’4”, 215-pound defenseman was drafted by New Jersey in the third round (73rd overall) in the 2009 NHL Draft.
Per CapGeek, Urbom is in the final year of his entry-level contract, which pays him $550,000 in the NHL ($285,000 performance bonus) and $65,000 in the AHL.
Urbom will apparently report to the Caps.
Washington subsequently assigned center Michael Latta to AHL Hershey.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)