Oct 3, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have claimed defenseman Alexander Urbom off waivers from New Jersey.
From the Caps’ press release announcing the move:
Urbom, 22, recorded eight assists and 64 penalty minutes in 68 games with the Albany Devils of the America Hockey League (AHL) last season. The native of Stockholm, Sweden, has played in 14 career NHL games and collected two goals and nine penalty minutes.
Urbom registered 12 points (two goals, 10 assists), 33 penalty minutes in 50 games during the 2011-12 season and also represented the Devils in the 2012 AHL All-Star Classic. In 190 career AHL games, Urbom collected 43 points (four goals, 39 assists) and 161 penalty minutes.
The 6’4”, 215-pound defenseman was drafted by New Jersey in the third round (73rd overall) in the 2009 NHL Draft.
Per CapGeek, Urbom is in the final year of his entry-level contract, which pays him $550,000 in the NHL ($285,000 performance bonus) and $65,000 in the AHL.
Urbom will apparently report to the Caps.
Washington subsequently assigned center Michael Latta to AHL Hershey.
Lamoriello on losing Urbom: "No question he's a bright prospect. It's a compliment to the depth we have."—
Rich Chere (@Ledger_NJDevils) October 03, 2013
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)