Caps claim d-man Urbom from Devils, assign Latta to AHL

Oct 3, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT

Alexander Urbom Getty Images

The Washington Capitals have claimed defenseman Alexander Urbom off waivers from New Jersey.

From the Caps’ press release announcing the move:

Urbom, 22, recorded eight assists and 64 penalty minutes in 68 games with the Albany Devils of the America Hockey League (AHL) last season. The native of Stockholm, Sweden, has played in 14 career NHL games and collected two goals and nine penalty minutes.

Urbom registered 12 points (two goals, 10 assists), 33 penalty minutes in 50 games during the 2011-12 season and also represented the Devils in the 2012 AHL All-Star Classic. In 190 career AHL games, Urbom collected 43 points (four goals, 39 assists) and 161 penalty minutes.

The 6’4”, 215-pound defenseman was drafted by New Jersey in the third round (73rd overall) in the 2009 NHL Draft.

Per CapGeek, Urbom is in the final year of his entry-level contract, which pays him $550,000 in the NHL ($285,000 performance bonus) and $65,000 in the AHL.

Urbom will apparently report to the Caps.

Washington subsequently assigned center Michael Latta to AHL Hershey.

1. idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM

This move was even more stupid than keeping the 29th overall pick when they could have surrendered it. They could have dropped Larrson down without putting him through waivers or dropped a less valuable player until they made the room.

Lou can be a real dumba$$ at times.

2. 950003cups - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Well, that wasn’t very nice of the Caps.

3. billyhauntswizards - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM

why was he even put on waivers in the first place?

• ibieiniid - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM

my question is how did Urbom make it all the way down the waiver list to the Caps?

• flavadave10 - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Waiver list is determined by the team’s record. Technically the Caps are 0-1-0 right now. Oates obviously knows a thing or two about Urbom. I’m assuming this means Connor Carrick will be sent down to Hershey sometime in the next few days.

• ibieiniid - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I had to look this up (wiki) because I thought u might be right. But it actually says “If waivers are requested outside of the playing season, or before November 1, then the player shall be transferred to the team with the lowest points in the preceding season.”

yeah they’re pretty far down the list from last year.

• flavadave10 - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM

My apologies, I stand corrected. How’d he fall all the way to the Capitals (who I think should be right around #20)? Not that I’m complaining!

• ibieiniid - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM

If a guy goes on assignment waivers and gets signed by another team, does he have to go through waivers again to get sent down by his new team? I’d assume so but I’ve never really seen that play out so I’m not sure. That might be an explanation. Nobody with an immediate opening on the upper team… although idk if that’s true either. SOMEBODY below them could use a 6’4″ 215lb’er in their 6.

• flavadave10 - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM

“If a guy goes on assignment waivers and gets signed by another team, does he have to go through waivers again to get sent down by his new team? I’d assume so but I’ve never really seen that play out so I’m not sure.”

Well, since Urbom is reporting to Washington, I would assume he can’t be sent to Hershey (Washington’s AHL team) without going through waivers.

4. thecheeman - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I don’t know any Devils fans who were upset that Urbom was exposed to waivers. He’s not that good, but he’s definitely a guy who can get dressed and skate around.

• ibieiniid - Oct 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

psssst….. you scrolled past some to make this comment!

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D