Oct 3, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames may have felt like they deserved better.
Instead, they came away with just the single point. The Washington Capitals spotted the Flames a 3-0 lead in the first period, and a 4-1 lead in the second, but came storming back for a 5-4 shootout win on Thursday.
Alex Ovechkin has picked up right where he left off the last regular season, scoring a pair of goals and adding an assist. He’s already up to five points on the season. Interesting, given the added motivation of having the 2014 Olympics in his home country of Russia.
He then scored in the skills competition, as did Mikhail Grabovski.
Calgary’s young forward Sven Baertschi, whose overall game during training camp was recently ripped by Brian Burke, was used in the shootout but couldn’t score. He also finished the night without a point.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 0
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 4
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 16
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9