Oct 3, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames may have felt like they deserved better.
Instead, they came away with just the single point. The Washington Capitals spotted the Flames a 3-0 lead in the first period, and a 4-1 lead in the second, but came storming back for a 5-4 shootout win on Thursday.
Alex Ovechkin has picked up right where he left off the last regular season, scoring a pair of goals and adding an assist. He’s already up to five points on the season. Interesting, given the added motivation of having the 2014 Olympics in his home country of Russia.
He then scored in the skills competition, as did Mikhail Grabovski.
Calgary’s young forward Sven Baertschi, whose overall game during training camp was recently ripped by Brian Burke, was used in the shootout but couldn’t score. He also finished the night without a point.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38