Oct 3, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames may have felt like they deserved better.
Instead, they came away with just the single point. The Washington Capitals spotted the Flames a 3-0 lead in the first period, and a 4-1 lead in the second, but came storming back for a 5-4 shootout win on Thursday.
Alex Ovechkin has picked up right where he left off the last regular season, scoring a pair of goals and adding an assist. He’s already up to five points on the season. Interesting, given the added motivation of having the 2014 Olympics in his home country of Russia.
He then scored in the skills competition, as did Mikhail Grabovski.
Calgary’s young forward Sven Baertschi, whose overall game during training camp was recently ripped by Brian Burke, was used in the shootout but couldn’t score. He also finished the night without a point.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 3
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 20
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 81
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 79
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 17
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 16
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (83)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)