Oct 3, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames may have felt like they deserved better.
Instead, they came away with just the single point. The Washington Capitals spotted the Flames a 3-0 lead in the first period, and a 4-1 lead in the second, but came storming back for a 5-4 shootout win on Thursday.
Alex Ovechkin has picked up right where he left off the last regular season, scoring a pair of goals and adding an assist. He’s already up to five points on the season. Interesting, given the added motivation of having the 2014 Olympics in his home country of Russia.
He then scored in the skills competition, as did Mikhail Grabovski.
Calgary’s young forward Sven Baertschi, whose overall game during training camp was recently ripped by Brian Burke, was used in the shootout but couldn’t score. He also finished the night without a point.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 18
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13