Oct 3, 2013, 5:26 PM EDT
On Wednesday, Boston GM Peter Chiarelli said re-signing Dennis Seidenberg was a “pretty high” priority for his club.
He wasn’t kidding.
A day later, the Bruins signed Seidenberg to a four-year, $16 million extension with a no-trade clause, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. The deal runs through the 2017-18 season and, barring a waiving of the NTC, will keep Seidenberg with the B’s until he’s 36 years old.
Seidenberg, who has been with the Bruins since 2010, will see his four-year, $13 million deal expire at season’s end. The German rearguard has been an important cog for Boston over the last few seasons, including the Stanley Cup-winning campaign of 2010-11 in which he tied a career-high with 32 points while averaging over 23 minutes a night.
Seidenberg was also a workhorse in last year’s playoffs, averaging 25:59 per game — second only to Zdeno Chara.
Monetarily speaking, the deal is a good one for Boston. The Bruins retain Seidenberg’s services with a nominal annual pay bump — $3.25 to $4 million per season — and prevent him going to market in what could potentially be a thin year for UFA defensemen.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)