Oct 3, 2013, 5:26 PM EDT
On Wednesday, Boston GM Peter Chiarelli said re-signing Dennis Seidenberg was a “pretty high” priority for his club.
He wasn’t kidding.
A day later, the Bruins signed Seidenberg to a four-year, $16 million extension with a no-trade clause, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. The deal runs through the 2017-18 season and, barring a waiving of the NTC, will keep Seidenberg with the B’s until he’s 36 years old.
Seidenberg, who has been with the Bruins since 2010, will see his four-year, $13 million deal expire at season’s end. The German rearguard has been an important cog for Boston over the last few seasons, including the Stanley Cup-winning campaign of 2010-11 in which he tied a career-high with 32 points while averaging over 23 minutes a night.
Seidenberg was also a workhorse in last year’s playoffs, averaging 25:59 per game — second only to Zdeno Chara.
Monetarily speaking, the deal is a good one for Boston. The Bruins retain Seidenberg’s services with a nominal annual pay bump — $3.25 to $4 million per season — and prevent him going to market in what could potentially be a thin year for UFA defensemen.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 27
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)