Oct 3, 2013, 5:26 PM EDT
On Wednesday, Boston GM Peter Chiarelli said re-signing Dennis Seidenberg was a “pretty high” priority for his club.
He wasn’t kidding.
A day later, the Bruins signed Seidenberg to a four-year, $16 million extension with a no-trade clause, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. The deal runs through the 2017-18 season and, barring a waiving of the NTC, will keep Seidenberg with the B’s until he’s 36 years old.
Seidenberg, who has been with the Bruins since 2010, will see his four-year, $13 million deal expire at season’s end. The German rearguard has been an important cog for Boston over the last few seasons, including the Stanley Cup-winning campaign of 2010-11 in which he tied a career-high with 32 points while averaging over 23 minutes a night.
Seidenberg was also a workhorse in last year’s playoffs, averaging 25:59 per game — second only to Zdeno Chara.
Monetarily speaking, the deal is a good one for Boston. The Bruins retain Seidenberg’s services with a nominal annual pay bump — $3.25 to $4 million per season — and prevent him going to market in what could potentially be a thin year for UFA defensemen.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 3
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 13
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)