Oct 3, 2013, 1:44 PM EST
Tonight marks the first night in what figures to be a season-long discussion about Tampa Bay’s goaltending situation.
And it starts with Anders Lindback.
The lanky Swede will be in net for Tampa’s season opening tilt against Boston on Thursday, head coach Jon Cooper announced. This will mark the second straight season opener Lindback’s started — he began 2013 with a 6-3 win over Washington — and will relegate Ben Bishop, the NHL’s tallest netminder, to a backup position.
The real question now is, will Cooper stick with his assertion that both Lindback and Bishop are his No .1s?
Midway through training camp, the Bolts boss said he would start the year with two starting goalies, adding that he was perfectly fine with a season-long timeshare.
“People are going to say whoever gets the opening-game start must be their starting goalie. Well, he’s starting that night,” Cooper told the Tampa Bay Times.
“If that’s our winning formula,” he said of the potential timeshare, “then that’s how we do it.”
Cooper might’ve been hedging his bets to a certain degree, keeping from putting the pressure of a No. 1 gig on either guy — especially since neither has much experience carrying the load.
Lindback has 62 games of NHL experience and has never played more than 24 in a season; Bishop has 55 games on his resume, never appearing in more than 22 in one year.
While the platoon system might work for a while, former Bolts coach Terry Crisp warns of its potential pitfalls.
“You want them both playing,” Crisp told the Tampa Tribune. “But if I say to (Bishop) take the next three games and Anders has got the next three, what happens if he has three shutouts in a row? Now what do I do?
“I gave my word to the next guy coming in, so it’s a big-time balancing act for the coach. And you better be careful what you promise, because you better live up to it.”
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Minnesota’s lost four straight, and six of its last eight.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Winnipeg has won three of four.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The Devils enter the Christmas holidays on a two-game skid.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Made 26 saves for the shutout.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Tampa rookie Andrei Vasilevskiy picked up his second career win.
Dec 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Bernier made 43 saves for the shutout
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)