Oct 3, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Pekka Rinne‘s first game of the year lasted less than 10 minutes.
The Nashville goalie, who underwent major offseason hip surgery, was yanked after allowing three goals on six shots to St. Louis on Thursday night, giving way for Carter Hutton to make his Preds debut.
Rinne, 30, allowed goals to David Backes, Vladimir Sobotka and TJ Oshie in a span of 7:40 before getting yanked, an extremely rough start to the year for a goalie that’s been nominated for two of the last three Vezina Trophies.
What’s more, Nashville was forced to rely on Hutton, a wildly inexperienced backup that had just one game of NHL experience heading into tonight.
That said, the move did provide a spark.
Mike Fisher scored less than a minute after Hutton replaced Rinne, cutting St. Louis’ lead to 3-1. The goal was the first of the year conceded by Blues netminder Jaroslav Halak, who looks to be carrying the No. 1 gig this season after splitting time over the last two years with Brian Elliott.
Related: Under Pressure: Pekka Rinne
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)