Oct 3, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Pekka Rinne‘s first game of the year lasted less than 10 minutes.
The Nashville goalie, who underwent major offseason hip surgery, was yanked after allowing three goals on six shots to St. Louis on Thursday night, giving way for Carter Hutton to make his Preds debut.
Rinne, 30, allowed goals to David Backes, Vladimir Sobotka and TJ Oshie in a span of 7:40 before getting yanked, an extremely rough start to the year for a goalie that’s been nominated for two of the last three Vezina Trophies.
What’s more, Nashville was forced to rely on Hutton, a wildly inexperienced backup that had just one game of NHL experience heading into tonight.
That said, the move did provide a spark.
Mike Fisher scored less than a minute after Hutton replaced Rinne, cutting St. Louis’ lead to 3-1. The goal was the first of the year conceded by Blues netminder Jaroslav Halak, who looks to be carrying the No. 1 gig this season after splitting time over the last two years with Brian Elliott.
Related: Under Pressure: Pekka Rinne
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)