Oct 2, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Pittsburgh general manager Ray Shero shared the timeline today.
In the meantime, Shero says the Pens will give Jeff Zatkoff the opportunity to back up starter Marc-Andre Fleury. At the moment, there are no plans to bring in another goalie.
Zatkoff, 26, has yet to play an NHL game; however, he’s put up good numbers with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
“I want to go with the goaltending we have here and see how we do,” Shero said. “Like anything, you’ll evaluate as you go. Since Tomas has been out I know who every available free agent goalie is because I’ve gotten calls from their agents and other teams.
“Right now I want to go with this and see how we do. I want to give Jeff the opportunity, which I think he’s deserved.”
As for Vokoun, the 37-year-old veteran called three months “a minimum” amount of time before he’s back.
“Right now I’m not thinking about my career or playing hockey,” he said. “I’m more worried about long-term health,”
GM Shero on Vokoun: They'll evaluate after 3 months. Most important thing is his health. He can stay active during that time.—
Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) October 02, 2013
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 39
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)