Oct 2, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Pittsburgh general manager Ray Shero shared the timeline today.
In the meantime, Shero says the Pens will give Jeff Zatkoff the opportunity to back up starter Marc-Andre Fleury. At the moment, there are no plans to bring in another goalie.
Zatkoff, 26, has yet to play an NHL game; however, he’s put up good numbers with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
“I want to go with the goaltending we have here and see how we do,” Shero said. “Like anything, you’ll evaluate as you go. Since Tomas has been out I know who every available free agent goalie is because I’ve gotten calls from their agents and other teams.
“Right now I want to go with this and see how we do. I want to give Jeff the opportunity, which I think he’s deserved.”
As for Vokoun, the 37-year-old veteran called three months “a minimum” amount of time before he’s back.
“Right now I’m not thinking about my career or playing hockey,” he said. “I’m more worried about long-term health,”
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 12
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 35
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 122
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 64
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (122)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)