Oct 2, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Pittsburgh general manager Ray Shero shared the timeline today.
In the meantime, Shero says the Pens will give Jeff Zatkoff the opportunity to back up starter Marc-Andre Fleury. At the moment, there are no plans to bring in another goalie.
Zatkoff, 26, has yet to play an NHL game; however, he’s put up good numbers with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
“I want to go with the goaltending we have here and see how we do,” Shero said. “Like anything, you’ll evaluate as you go. Since Tomas has been out I know who every available free agent goalie is because I’ve gotten calls from their agents and other teams.
“Right now I want to go with this and see how we do. I want to give Jeff the opportunity, which I think he’s deserved.”
As for Vokoun, the 37-year-old veteran called three months “a minimum” amount of time before he’s back.
“Right now I’m not thinking about my career or playing hockey,” he said. “I’m more worried about long-term health,”
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)