Oct 2, 2013, 10:12 PM EST
With the debate about whether fighting belongs in hockey raging right now, it appears players aren’t at all reserved about dropping the gloves.
Schenn took exception to a hit Lupul threw on Flyers’ captain Claude Giroux, and the two adversaries engaged in a brief scrap as the puck appeared to be heading back up ice.
Already a polarizing topic in the sport, there has been, over these last 24 hours or so, widespread debate about fighting’s place in hockey.
Arguments and opinions from both sides have been flowing constantly since Montreal Canadiens enforcer George Parros was hospitalized following a fight with Maple Leafs tough guy Colton Orr last night.
Parros banged his head on the ice as he fell, and had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher.
Parros suffered a concussion, although it was reported he did not suffer any fractures and a CT scan was negative.
Arguments have ranged from eliminating the designated fighters from the game, and that a scrap initiated organically through the emotional events of a shift or a play or a game is acceptable.
On Wednesday, Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman called for game misconducts to those who fight.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)