Oct 2, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
With the debate about whether fighting belongs in hockey raging right now, it appears players aren’t at all reserved about dropping the gloves.
Schenn took exception to a hit Lupul threw on Flyers’ captain Claude Giroux, and the two adversaries engaged in a brief scrap as the puck appeared to be heading back up ice.
Already a polarizing topic in the sport, there has been, over these last 24 hours or so, widespread debate about fighting’s place in hockey.
Arguments and opinions from both sides have been flowing constantly since Montreal Canadiens enforcer George Parros was hospitalized following a fight with Maple Leafs tough guy Colton Orr last night.
Parros banged his head on the ice as he fell, and had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher.
Parros suffered a concussion, although it was reported he did not suffer any fractures and a CT scan was negative.
Arguments have ranged from eliminating the designated fighters from the game, and that a scrap initiated organically through the emotional events of a shift or a play or a game is acceptable.
On Wednesday, Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman called for game misconducts to those who fight.
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 9
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)