Oct 2, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
With the debate about whether fighting belongs in hockey raging right now, it appears players aren’t at all reserved about dropping the gloves.
Schenn took exception to a hit Lupul threw on Flyers’ captain Claude Giroux, and the two adversaries engaged in a brief scrap as the puck appeared to be heading back up ice.
Already a polarizing topic in the sport, there has been, over these last 24 hours or so, widespread debate about fighting’s place in hockey.
Arguments and opinions from both sides have been flowing constantly since Montreal Canadiens enforcer George Parros was hospitalized following a fight with Maple Leafs tough guy Colton Orr last night.
Parros banged his head on the ice as he fell, and had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher.
Parros suffered a concussion, although it was reported he did not suffer any fractures and a CT scan was negative.
Arguments have ranged from eliminating the designated fighters from the game, and that a scrap initiated organically through the emotional events of a shift or a play or a game is acceptable.
On Wednesday, Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman called for game misconducts to those who fight.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 9
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 22
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)