Oct 2, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
With the debate about whether fighting belongs in hockey raging right now, it appears players aren’t at all reserved about dropping the gloves.
Schenn took exception to a hit Lupul threw on Flyers’ captain Claude Giroux, and the two adversaries engaged in a brief scrap as the puck appeared to be heading back up ice.
Already a polarizing topic in the sport, there has been, over these last 24 hours or so, widespread debate about fighting’s place in hockey.
Arguments and opinions from both sides have been flowing constantly since Montreal Canadiens enforcer George Parros was hospitalized following a fight with Maple Leafs tough guy Colton Orr last night.
Parros banged his head on the ice as he fell, and had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher.
Parros suffered a concussion, although it was reported he did not suffer any fractures and a CT scan was negative.
Arguments have ranged from eliminating the designated fighters from the game, and that a scrap initiated organically through the emotional events of a shift or a play or a game is acceptable.
On Wednesday, Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman called for game misconducts to those who fight.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 24
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 17
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 56
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)