Oct 2, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
A pair of veteran presences hit the waiver wire this afternoon.
In Edmonton, the Oilers put tough guy Ben Eager on waivers after he didn’t dress for the club’s season-opening 5-4 loss to Winnipeg on Tuesday night.
While the move is somewhat surprising — he signed a three-year, $3.3 million deal with the Oilers in 2011 — the move is a byproduct of Edmonton suddenly having too much toughness in the lineup with Mike Brown, Steve MacIntyre and Luke Gazdic.
In Florida, the Panthers put veteran netminder Scott Clemmensen on waivers as well.
Clemmensen, 36, suffered a knee injury at the start of training camp and has been shelved since undergoing a procedure to fix the issue. That opened the door for Florida to sign Tim Thomas — he’s subsequently moved into the No. 1 gig — leaving Jacob Markstrom as the backup and Clemmensen looking for work.
In other waiver news, the Devils put 22-year-old defenseman Alex Urbom on the wire. Urbom has 14 games of NHL experience.
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 12
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 5
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 51
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (54)