Oct 2, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
A pair of veteran presences hit the waiver wire this afternoon.
In Edmonton, the Oilers put tough guy Ben Eager on waivers after he didn’t dress for the club’s season-opening 5-4 loss to Winnipeg on Tuesday night.
While the move is somewhat surprising — he signed a three-year, $3.3 million deal with the Oilers in 2011 — the move is a byproduct of Edmonton suddenly having too much toughness in the lineup with Mike Brown, Steve MacIntyre and Luke Gazdic.
In Florida, the Panthers put veteran netminder Scott Clemmensen on waivers as well.
Clemmensen, 36, suffered a knee injury at the start of training camp and has been shelved since undergoing a procedure to fix the issue. That opened the door for Florida to sign Tim Thomas — he’s subsequently moved into the No. 1 gig — leaving Jacob Markstrom as the backup and Clemmensen looking for work.
In other waiver news, the Devils put 22-year-old defenseman Alex Urbom on the wire. Urbom has 14 games of NHL experience.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)