Oct 2, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
A pair of veteran presences hit the waiver wire this afternoon.
In Edmonton, the Oilers put tough guy Ben Eager on waivers after he didn’t dress for the club’s season-opening 5-4 loss to Winnipeg on Tuesday night.
While the move is somewhat surprising — he signed a three-year, $3.3 million deal with the Oilers in 2011 — the move is a byproduct of Edmonton suddenly having too much toughness in the lineup with Mike Brown, Steve MacIntyre and Luke Gazdic.
In Florida, the Panthers put veteran netminder Scott Clemmensen on waivers as well.
Clemmensen, 36, suffered a knee injury at the start of training camp and has been shelved since undergoing a procedure to fix the issue. That opened the door for Florida to sign Tim Thomas — he’s subsequently moved into the No. 1 gig — leaving Jacob Markstrom as the backup and Clemmensen looking for work.
In other waiver news, the Devils put 22-year-old defenseman Alex Urbom on the wire. Urbom has 14 games of NHL experience.
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 0
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 23
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24