Oct 2, 2013, 9:37 PM EST
It could be that one of the most fascinating characters, sought after sound bites and maligned goalies the National Hockey League has seen in recent years could be on his way to … the East Coast Hockey League.
According to reports, former Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov is close to signing with Las Vegas in the ECHL.
Working on confirming or debunking, but, word in Philly is Bryzgalov is about to sign an East Coast Hockey League contract in Las Vegas.—
Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) October 03, 2013
How the mighty have fallen, if this turns out to be true.
Bryzgalov, who turned 33 years of age this past June, played only two seasons with the Flyers after signing a nine-year, $51 million deal in 2011.
As a member of the Flyers, Bryzgalov won 52 regular season games in 99 games played. He struggled mightily last season, posting a 19-17-3-1 record.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 40
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)