Oct 2, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
It could be that one of the most fascinating characters, sought after sound bites and maligned goalies the National Hockey League has seen in recent years could be on his way to … the East Coast Hockey League.
According to reports, former Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov is close to signing with Las Vegas in the ECHL.
How the mighty have fallen, if this turns out to be true.
Bryzgalov, who turned 33 years of age this past June, played only two seasons with the Flyers after signing a nine-year, $51 million deal in 2011.
As a member of the Flyers, Bryzgalov won 52 regular season games in 99 games played. He struggled mightily last season, posting a 19-17-3-1 record.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)